Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I checked out the new Best Buy in my neighbourhood yesterday (located ironically about 200 meters from my local Future Shop) and came away pretty unimpressed. It's basically more of the same s**t. There are some products that they carry that FS does not but the overlap is striking and the prices are identical (to the cent) on many products. The sales pressure didn't seem as vicious but then, it was opening day and they were swamped with customers.

Of note, although BB in the US is carrying iPods, it doesn't look like that relationship made it across the border.

I don't know how they're planning to support two stores (one FS and one BB) right next to one another but hey, I didn't draft the business plan right? I did have some fun the other day when I was in FS. I just asked one of the salesreps what benefits I'd get from coming there vs. going to the Best Buy. Boy did that get the hackles up in a hurry (LOL). Believe it or not, his reason was that I'd get much more "personalized" service at FutureShop.

Fortunately I was able to controled myself and not burst out laughing. "You mean like if I go to Best Buy then I won't have a saleperson stalk me through the store and chase me out into the parking lot if I don't buy the extended warranty?" LOL

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

Best Buy and Future Shop will both do fine even though they are beside each other and owned by the same company. Many people refuse to shop at Future Shop and aren't aware that they have been bought out by Best Buy. I'm sure they know what they're doing.

On an interesting note, Best Buy was going to rename the Future Shop stores in Canada, but elected against it because of the 'brand recognition' that Future Shop has in the marketplace. I assume that Best Buy is referring to some sort of 'positive' brand recognition.

James

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
There has been a half-finished Best Buy in Ottawa for over a year now (on Merivale road), that could have been opened back in the Spring (or even earlier), there is a crappy Future Shop across the street.

Best Buy decided to hold off finishing it because they said they wanted to wait until the Toronto stores opened. :rolleyes:

And people wonder why there is Toronto-Ottawa rivalry?

Ah well, I don't plan on shopping at either store, save for the few loss leader items and cheap DVDs.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mycatsnameis:

Fortunately I was able to controled myself and not burst out laughing. "You mean like if I go to Best Buy then I won't have a saleperson stalk me through the store and chase me out into the parking lot if I don't buy the extended warranty?" LOL
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! I just tell them "if I don't get the warranty, then I'll just have an excuse to buy a better model when this one breaks." That usually satisfies them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts