Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Hey Mississuga, good review!

I have two questions and I'm not sure what I want to do is possible...

I am sharing a .mac account with my business partner. We are using her machine (iMac) as the main data machine and my PB as the 'other'. This means that I always drop new data files on her machine and make a full copy of her data folder to my machine every couple of weeks.

The Big Idea would be to use Backup to synchonise the files between her HD and iDisk and then to synchronize my desktop iDisk with the real one. While I'm typing this, I am wondering how different that would be from working directly on iDisk all the time? (from both sides). Another alternative would be to synchronise some folders via file sharing (using airport) and then to use backup to iDisk. Confusion reigns!

The second question relates to the nature of CDR writing. On a PC, you can format your CDs to behave as floppies, that is that you can write/'erase' until the CD gets full (you don't really erase but can pseudo-overwrite). So far I don't understand how you can get this multi-session behaviour under Panther. (for backup or any other app)

Thanks

·
Registered
406 Posts
I believe that with the built in disc burner apps you cannot make multi-session discs. With Toast however you do have the option to close the disc or not so that you can make multi-session discs. When a multi-session disc is inserted into your media drive each session will show up as a separate icon on your desktop.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Moscool,

Your idea of using iDisk for synchronization of data between 2 machines is sound. Go to your System Prefs/.Mac and select the iDisk button. Here you will find the necessary sync options by checking "Create a local copy of your iDisk".

I'm sorry I can't assist with your CD questions. I haven't had need to experiment with those options as I use Toast for archival back ups to CD. My strategy also includes using Backup 2 to write to RAID external drives.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi All,

What is the best most reliable backup app for use on G5 / Panther? 160 GB split into three partitions - these are my needs...

Twice Daily:

1) Mirror of 1st partition that contains my System, Apps and Mail

2) Development work on 2nd partition

I have purchased an external 160 GB firewire/usb2 that came with retrospect express.

Is that the app to use or is there a more reliable one for Panther?

TIA

JKD

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Thanks guys. Helpful & useful as usual. 2 follow-up Qs if I may:

- Will iDisk manage conflicts in two machines are set up to auto synch, or should one of the machines be set to manual synch?

- Mutl sessions will result in multiple images, this means that any of them is then usable. True? Also, is there a way to burn CDs like on a PC i.e. open multiple sessions, drag and drob any time, close multiple sessions (it doesn't seem to be the case in the linked help file)

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Moscool,

For some assistance with iDisk synchronization, you might try e-mailing my friend, Jim Dalrymple. He has extensive experience with iDisk sync-ing and will likely be able to steer you in the right direction.

[email protected]

... mention my name. ;)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Chealion - thanks for that multisession tip.
I didn't know that feature was available.
That might save some $$ on DVD-R disks :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Following with action...

I have launched a backup from iDisk (which I had already backed up in the office) to my HD. It has been running for 4 hours and still only about 30% complete (total size is 84Mb)!

I even did a restart to get a chance to change servers or other configurations Apple side. No change at all... Anyone got any idea why the iDisk servers are so slow?
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Moscool,

I think you may be experiencing iDisk slow servers due to the fact they're on our side of the pond... and it's prime time for users to be accessing their accounts. I know from experience there are times when iDisk just crawls. You might be best to try again during your morning hours.

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
You probably have a point Mr M: came back this morning and everything was done. Won't use it for emergency though!

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
does anyone know of a CopyAgent type program for X?

CopyAgent makes copies, via finder, of your data and then does a "smart replace" to only write data that has been changed since the last copy.

I've been using for quite some time now and it is a great program since it removed the need for me to backup manually and the files are ready to use without having to run them thru a translator.

I prefer it to backup sfw. since backup sfw. usually creates data files in their own proprietary file structure.

thanx in advance

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
>does anyone know of a CopyAgent type program for X?

CopyAgent was a great OS 9 app, I really liked it. There's nothing exactly the same that I know of for OS X, but "Deja Vu" is similar. It has a setting to mirror folder contents, and can be scheduled to do automatic backups, or run manually when you feel like doing a backup. It's a really nice app (pref pane), and it's free for .Mac users.

-Howie

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I use Backup 2 and burn my entire user library (other than my music folder) to a DVD-RW. I have three of these discs that I use and reuse in rotation (monthly) so that I always have a built-in redundancy in case I do something dumb like say losing or damaging a disc.

I also use Backup to conduct a nightly copy of my desktop files, address book and email database.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts