Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After just reading the G4vsG5 case design thread I thought I'd throw this one out there. What's the best apple case design ever?
My vote: the G4 Cube

·
Registered
154 Posts
I totally agree :D , I loved the look of the little thing. The day I saw it my jaw dropped in aw (This was before i liked Macs ;) ), LOL

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Call me crazy... The Color Classic was the best case design if you ask me... All in One... motherboard slide right out.... MMMmmmmmm I love mine... still in the original box.

I also marvel at the simplicity of the LC cases... pop off the top and everything you need is there.

And lastly... The Powerbook G3 WallStreet Series was great... getting at the guts (processor, memory, harddrive) was insanely simple for a laptop.

Now the reall question is... what cases did you HATE?

I hate all compact macs (I have 5 in the garage) as they basically need to be blasted apart with c4

Also I hated the Powermac 4400... what a pig... A PC with a mac logo on it.

Jonesy

·
Registered
218 Posts
Case that I hate the worst...

PowerMac 8500...

In order to add memory, you had to remove a protective plastic shield, unplug EVERYTHING from the motherboard, take out ALL the cards and then remove the motherboard from the case.... In a word... PATHETIC.... :mad:

Case that I like the best...

Tie, between the G5 and the Cube..

The G5 is the best for ease of access to everything inside, while the Cube just ... well it is a Cube.. :D

MrVermin

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Best-looking case designs:
G4 Quicksilver, mirrored drive doors
G5 tower
G4 Cube

Best case design for ease of access & quick upgradeability: the G4 tower form factor - actually, first introduced as the blue & white G3 tower. Great shape and super-easy flip-open access.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I dont think it's fair to refer to the "G4 case design". This is and always will be the B&W G3 case design. B&Ws still rock, and I just heard yesterday that ATI will be releasing a PCI 9000 Radeon mac edition this year!!!!

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I agree - the B&W was not only a breath of fresh air in aesthetic design, it was a revolution in functional design too. Just open the door and everything is there: RAM, PCI, HDs, CPU, Optical Drives, PS, Modem - etc. - very easy access.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
true, but it's still not my favorite.

i wonder how the g5 case will evolve over its next few iterations? i hope they don't colour the alum. ala mini ipod!

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
How about this then, Andreww:

I'll grant you that the B&W G3 saw the introduction of the form factor I so admire, but to my mind the colours and plastics shouted "toy computer" and I too found that combo garish to behold. I also would argue that the particular form factor design in question saw the pinnacle of its refinement in the last revisions of the G4 line-up. I have a DP 450, and while it's still very nice to look at, I admire the simpler, cleaner elegance of its successors.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The Cube is certainly a brilliant looking machine, but it loses points for me a few ways.

First, the button on top is touch sensitive and you have to turn it upside down to put RAM in. Accidental boot ups ensue for many users.

Second, the Power Supply is external, which is kind of annoying.

Third, all the connectors are on the bottom which is great once everything is plugged in but annoying to actually plug anything in.

I'd say that the G5 case is probably the best tower they've designed, and the iMac Flat Panel is probably the best all in one desktop.

·
Premium Member
17,991 Posts
Is this a desktop-only thread? My favourite case design for a Mac was the Powerbook 5xx series (aka "Blackbird").

In it's day, it was the first "desktop killer." ;)

Introduced in 1994, the 5xx came with grayscale or colour LCD at 640x480, ethernet, dual battery compartment (hot swappable), stereo speakers on the top lid edges, trackpad :eek: dual-monitor (spanning) support, optional PCMCIA card cage, stereo-out and line-in, great keyboard...

:cool:
M

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
The best case design, IMO, not visually, but rather for it's functionality.

The B&W G3 case/G4 was a revolutionary case design. At that point there was nothing like it around. No screws, no tools to open the case. Just flip a handle and the side folds down! You can easily get at your RAM, Cards, add an extra HD with Apple's legendary ease.

However as for visually, at that time all PC cases were beige. How exciting was that? Apple came along with this design and it was something no one had ever seen before, with the smooth lines, clear, white and blue plastics. In one word it was Awesome.

So my vote has to go tot the G3 B&W.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
I am with da_jonesy I really liked the style of the color classic. I have always been a sucker for the all in one case. I like the style of the 17” and now 20” imacs. :cool: :cool:

I think these macs hit where the cube missed.

If the cube only looked more like a retro toaster you know the kind where the side panels of the toaster open up. Maybe just maybe it would have stood a chance. But Job’s went for the solid cube toaster look. Oh! Well! :rolleyes:

However as I have stated earlier on this forum I have to defer to my wife when it comes to aesthetic considerations and she absolutely adored the cube. So there must be some good to the design. :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Worst case was the 9500. A total nightmare to upgrade. The PCI cards always had to be fiddled with to be seated properly. I cringe when I think of the time I had to upgrade the RAM in that thing.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
8500/9500 were absolutely horrible machines to open up and install RAM
i had many cuts from doing this over and over and over again

oh the agony

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Ditto re: the Color Classic. It was my first Mac, and such a tidy little beauty. I still have mine in the original box too, and I'll never part with it nor my 7200/90 which succeeded it.

I can't say I have an all-time favourite though, as there has been much to like in many different Macs over the years. The Cube, the CRT (tray and slot) and FP iMac, the Quicksilver & MDD, and the G5 (my current) are a perfect marriage of art, engineering, and functionality - so quintessentially Apple.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts