Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so what is the best app for recording from an external source? My 12" PB G4 has a sound in port and I want to rescue (before they are gone completely) some material recorded on cassete.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I use an iMic to make MP3 copies of my weary old vinyl LPs. Works like a charm and come with editing software so you can reduce tape hiss and album pops.

Link

·
Registered
268 Posts
PGant:

do you mean to say that you use that Griffin iMic and NO OTHER pre-amp for recording your vinyl? so the line from the stereo with the turntable goes straight into that iMic?

i'm looking for a good gizmo to convert my vinyl and if this device does what i think it does i think i've found a winner.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Radio Shack sells a small pre-amp that you can hook your turntable to... about $30Cdn. You do not need the pre-amp for cassettes from a cassette deck. If you have inputs, iMic is NOT required. you do need a miniplug to R/L RCA jack also from Radioshack.

The original question was the required app. I like Peak, but you do not have to go to that extent. Sound app is an extremly good shareware program. I have not tried it in OSX.

SparkME is freeeware that will record in OSX as well. You have to register and they will mail you a serial number. It is by TC WORKS. Not sure of the URL.
I hope this helps

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
P Gant, which Mac are you running? I know that you need the iMic with the iBook G4 - that's why I was considering the PB as it had a line in.... you get good recording with that? no stuttering?

H!

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
do you mean to say that you use that Griffin iMic and NO OTHER pre-amp for recording your vinyl? so the line from the stereo with the turntable goes straight into that iMic?
I have not tried it this way, but Griffin (who make iMic) say that you can connect the imic directly to your turntable without a preamp, using final vinyl (also from Griffin - free).

My iMic did not work properly under some versions of jaguar, including 10.2.8 (crackling background noise), but it does work right under Panther.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
I use an iMic to make MP3 copies of my weary old vinyl LPs. Works like a charm and come with editing software so you can reduce tape hiss and album pops.
What editing software did it come with (other than Final Vinyl which - as far as I can tell, has no filters)?

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
OHenri. I use my old iMacG3 (512 megs RAM). Works like a charm. I sketched a config chart quickly with Omnigraffle to explain the sequence:

I use Final Vinyl since it was included with iMic. I prefer it over Peak (which is included as demoware with iMic). It's far from being a high-end mixer, but it suits me fine. I just wanted to be able to listen to my old DejaVoodoo LPs again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts