Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please PLEASE recommend an alternative ISP? Preferably one which doesn't tell me that Macs are not "widely used" and that I must use IE and not Safari. I've had it with Bell Sympatico.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Heh Wolfshead,
Like I mentioned in your other thread, compared to Rogers in Toronto, Sympatico has been a "walk in the park" for us.
I'm guessing you're looking for high speed?
You should hint where you're located. Then we could better help with suggestions.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Not an answer to your question, but I'm on sympatico, and I've never had a problem with them. Probably because I don't have to talk to them. I've had to reset the modem twice. Once because of a powerbump and the other because I pulled the telephone cable out of the filter because I was sweeping up. And that's over 3 years of service.

If you're on OS X, it's a breeze to set up (a couple of clicks and some info out of the book that's provided and that's it). If you're on 9, then it's that silly access manager (but who's on 9 these days anyway? :D )

If you can find a local replacement of 'the monitor' (a computer mag here in Ottawa), you may find some adverts for service providers that are local.

John

·
Registered
645 Posts
I too have been with Bell Sympatico and they didn't seem to mind helping me out with Jaguar and configuring it to work with Mail and the Internet using Safari. The guy I talked to was very patient and they actually have a few Macs running Jaguar. This guy got on the Mac and we walked through the steps to get Mail and the internet to work. You see I was with Rogers earlier and the settings were a little different in Mail etc...so I couldn't get Mail to work correctly. However, this guy stayed with me and we did several tests through Mail to make sure I could receive and send ok. Plus we did several tests with Safari and IE to make sure my internet was working properly.

I must say the guy was professional and didn't make me feel like I was a nobody because I used a Mac. I like Bell Sympatico better than Rogers as I had the opposite as you have had with Bell Sympatico.

The only other one I can recommend is Rogers High Speed. We in Canada really don't allow or have the competition as our American friends when it comes to High Speed ISP's.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I've been using Bell Hi-speed for about 2
years now and it's getting better each year,
I had a few hiccups this year with some
freezing and stalls on ehMac or when my
girlfriend uses Pogo games, But other than
that...It works pretty quick.

I'd hate to have to switch...It'd just be too much
of a hassle to return the modem and then
have to go through another setup with
someone else.
Better to deal with the devil you know.

Dave :cool:

·
Registered
778 Posts
I just switched from crappy Bell to look.ca

So far the service has been superb for me. Never has gone down on me and the service is quick and the price is about the same as sympatico.

The only drawback I can see is you have to purchase the high-speed modem, but even that's really good as you get to keep it once you have it.

My modem is on a 1.5mb feed, but the modem iteself can sustain a 8mb connection. My thoughts. I also support the smaller companies the way I support Apple....Gotta watch out for the underdogs!

·
Registered
569 Posts
well I got an email several weeks ago about them upgrading my connection to 1.5 service .....got a brochure last week on the same theme My current connection is .52kB at the best and .34 at the worst and has been this way for months They still have 6 days to make their July 31 upgrade date . This morning I got 6 disconnects because "the other side was not responding" within an hour...yeppers it clicked right back in when asked but losing connectivity that many times in an hour is not what I consider service. Its amazing that when I go to Sympatico HS for service I get a male who could care less about my problems but when I go to Bell ExpressVU I get a female who is vitaly concerned about my problem and will not release the call until it has be resolved.

Same company different divison...go figure

I have had calls to Sympatico HS in which the tech on the other end could not be understood because of dialect and I had to ask for a supervisor to be transfered to another tech.

I have techs on Sympatico that told be outright that they do not support Macs and when I ask to to transfered to a Supervisor..... they drop the connection .... oops sorry about that ........and the beat goes on :)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I guess it depends on who you talk to at Sympatico...

I have had one or two that I had to strain to hear or understand, but by and large I found the support good and reasonably informed...

I know far more users still on 9 than on X, but that is another debate. The clearest answer I ever got from Sympatico about software supportis " we can't keep track of every peice of software out there, so we list support for the most popular options.... Hence suggesting Netscape or explorer..."

Personall I use Eudora for email... Sympatico claims it should not work, but a very patient tech guy walked through all the setting with me and it runs fine...

Setting the Preferences {some are named different in various apps} is the key. Sympatico also says it is not compatible with the router that connects all my macs together online and that I should be paying for extra lines... Ya... riiiiiiiight! Bwahahahahah {bad Dr. Evil impersonation}

·
Registered
719 Posts
I've been using Swinepatico's HSE for a while now. Gone are the days when they would ramble endlessly about tweeking something in Microshaft Windblows before getting it though their thick skull that OS 9 is not a Bill Gates product. I can't remember just how many times they "upgraded" me to a level 2 support tech.

But since I have had X, I have only had to call tech support once. My phone line was physically cut at the box for 7 days and no matter what I tried with the bell HSE modem, I could not connect. Turned out it was the Asante router having a hissy fit.

I'm happy with HSE. Swinepatico's customer service bites, as do most large companies', but in the end, Swinepatico seems to get the job done for me.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
I've been on Sympatico HSE for almost two years, slightly longer than I've had OSX.

Both the installation and switchover went easy without requiring tech support.

The only time I needed help telephone support was excellent. We isolated the problem within 10 minutes or so to the modem which had stopped working after a thunderstorm, fried over the phone line.

My only complaint is that it took almost a week to replace the modem. I had to pack everything up (modem, cable, filters) and ship it to Toronto before they would send me a new one.

A small price for what has been a dependable, hassle-free service.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've been on sympatico for 2+ years now. Other than an increase in spam mail a couple months back (seems to be getting better) I've had no other problems.

Sympatico just increased the highspeed service and they've taken away bandwidth restrictions for downloads so you download to your hearts content.

BTW, I had to show the install tech how to set up sympatico with a Mac. He was a pretty sad dude. LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts