ehMac banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question .. but i'm going to ask it anyway :hey baby:
I've been getting my internet from Bell since I moved to Canada!! I did the fatal mistake of using their own @bell.net email when it was rolled a couple of years ago, and now everybody I know, every newsletter, every site I subscribed to, uses this email address to contact me.
Now after a long deliberation, I decided to cancel my internet subscription with Bell and join the Tekksavvy nation, my only concern is,
Do I lose the @bell.net email address??
not sure if anybody had a similar experience with either Bell or Rogers, but your feedback is much appreciated :rolleyes:

·
Registered
360 Posts
yes, generally you lose it unless you pay for some nominal other service - effectively you have to double pay they RARELY will consider it otherwise since they tie your email address to your customer account and if you don't have an account you can't have service. They did it to me when I changed providers.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid you're going to say that!!
I suppose the only thing one can do is to slowly migrate to a new email before I switch providers.

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
Slowly?

It shouldn't be too hard to search through your email for who you need to contact, and start sending out the changes.

So you don't have to do this ever again, get a GMail address first and use that.

I suppose the only thing one can do is to slowly migrate to a new email before I switch providers.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
If you used that account to set up accounts at any websites (like this one) and online stores make sure you update your records there. You don't want somebody picking up your old Email address and start doing things like password resets on these sites.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you used that account to set up accounts at any websites (like this one) and online stores make sure you update your records there. You don't want somebody picking up your old Email address and start doing things like password resets on these sites.

That's a big concern, the mistake I made was making the bell mail account the main one.

·
Registered
564 Posts
You could get yourself a gmail account and use it for your subscriptions etc. in case you dont like teksavvy and decide to change again. You could resubscribe to your fave things and use the gmail addy so when Bell is gone, you still get your stuff. How's that for a technical answer? :D

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That seems like the way to go, I'm thinking of getting a yahoo account though, just feel sorry for them lol

·
Premium Member
15,399 Posts
...I've been getting my internet from Bell since I moved to Canada!! I did the fatal mistake of using their own @bell.net email when it was rolled a couple of years ago, and now everybody I know, every newsletter, every site I subscribed to, uses this email address to contact me.
Now after a long deliberation, I decided to cancel my internet subscription with Bell and join the Tekksavvy nation, my only concern is,
Do I lose the @bell.net email address??
not sure if anybody had a similar experience with either Bell or Rogers, but your feedback is much appreciated :rolleyes:
Have you ever setup any email filters or used your Bell spam settings, assuming they have such a thing, or even bothered to un-subscribed from the legit sites etc. or checked their contact settings you don't want to receive stuff from any longer??

If not, you can end up with the same problem created all over again even if you switch to another ISP's account.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well the lesson learned from this is not to use the ISP mail server again, I got a Gmail account and will be migrating contacts to it, then over the next little while work with all my subscriptions and memberships to change the email address..

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
Good. Then get a 2nd GMail account you can use for all the throwaway times you need an email address, signing up for stuff where you only need to use it once. You want your main email address spammed less.

Well the lesson learned from this is not to use the ISP mail server again, I got a Gmail account and will be migrating contacts to it, then over the next little while work with all my subscriptions and memberships to change the email address..

·
Registered
396 Posts
I wouldn't bother with a 2nd gmail address for that. I use gmail for pretty much everything and don't remember when the last time I was I got spam.
I do have a second one tho for people that I need to contact that I really don't want to know my email address tho.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good. Then get a 2nd GMail account you can use for all the throwaway times you need an email address, signing up for stuff where you only need to use it once. You want your main email address spammed less.
That's what the yahoo account is for :heybaby:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts