ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

So we just upgraded to the above and there's an option to turn the PVR off after at least 4 hours to receive updates, which I haven't tried yet, but i'm wondering if there is a way to turn off the hard drive before 4 hours (I'm not even sure this step does turn off the hard drive)?

Currently, when I power off the unit, I can still hear the hard drive running and the unit is hot. I realize that if i've programmed something to record, it will stay on, but it seems like a waste of power and wear n' tear if it stays on.

cheers,
keebler

·
Canuck of Enlightenment
949 Posts
As far as I have heard, you cannot turn the hard drive off.:(

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Hi folks,

So we just upgraded to the above and there's an option to turn the PVR off after at least 4 hours to receive updates, which I haven't tried yet, but i'm wondering if there is a way to turn off the hard drive before 4 hours (I'm not even sure this step does turn off the hard drive)?

Currently, when I power off the unit, I can still hear the hard drive running and the unit is hot. I realize that if i've programmed something to record, it will stay on, but it seems like a waste of power and wear n' tear if it stays on.

cheers,
keebler
Welcome to B(H)ell they do that for the simple reason that if the hard drive fails out you will once again have to upgrade the receiver at your cost.

Laterz :)

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to B(H)ell they do that for the simple reason that if the hard drive fails out you will once again have to upgrade the receiver at your cost.

Laterz :)
that's what i was thinking. I'm calling them tomorrow...first tech support then to accounts so a note is made that i called to complain about it...just in case. I know it might not make a difference b/c i doubt the hd will fail, but you never know.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Part of the problem is that once you turn the unit "off" it does system downloads and upgrades over night. I find with my Bell PVR, if I turn it off, the HD does eventually power down. Usually takes about 5 minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts