Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from a trip to the U.S. where I was able to buy the Belkin FM transmitter for the iPod that I had not been able to find anywhere in Toronto for the past month. What a joy! Easy to use, terrific sound and it made the six-hour trip back from Pittsburgh go by in no time. Also bought the auto charger, which lets you run the iPod from your car battery, charging even while it plays, and the external battery pack, which is a handy backup, if a bit bulky. They didn't have the adaptor that turns the iPod into an FM radio, or I would have bought that too. I also recently acquired a set of Sony travel speakers -- a pair of tweeters mounted on top of a small woofer -- and was more than happy with the sound of this four-watt unit that weighs almost nothing and folds up into a very compact package. I know it sounds like I work for Apple, but I mean it when I say the iPod has changed my life. I pack it almost everywhere now.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
My wife has the irock! FM transmitter and it is medeocre at best.

1. Sound quality is less than FM broadcast stations
2. Signal strength is low (interference from even weak stations)
3. I have to hold the transmitter in my hand in order to become a larger tranmitting antenna
4. Only three choices of station all of which have activity in our area
5. The power switch is easily triggered making for lots of wasted batteries
6. Uses more expensive AAA batteries

We only the use the thing in her car as mine has a audio input. Her VW Beetle has a dead cassette player which would cost as much as a good iPod to replace and third party units don't fit well in the Beetle. I will eventually put a in-line RF adapter (about $150 installed) on the thing for direct input but for now we get by.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Macified: Never even heard of the irock until I read your post. Jumped to their Website and read the reviews of their product posted there and the reviewers make it sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread. Figures, I guess.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've got the itrip and find that the quality of sound depends greatly on your radio/receiver. Works flawlessly with both my home stereos however reception in both my cars varies from day to day and time I would suppose. However does give the advantage of music whenever you want. Has anyone had the opportunity to compare one of the wireless devices against the cassette adaptor? Was curious as to the quality.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts