Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I purchase a new iBook, would anyone guess if there is a price drop coming soon? I'd hate to make such a costly purchase only to have it drop a couple of hundred dollars soon after.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
There are always price drops on the horizon, the problem is, we never know when! There are certain indications when new products are being released, but they are not always accurate either. But from what I know, there are no immediate plans for iBook changes or price drops.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,391 Posts
csonni, I am not sure if you qualify, but if you do, check out the Computer Purchasing Centre at Memorial Univ. here in St.John's. Their educational prices are much lower than the Apple Store. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dr G- How exctly would I contact them? I, most likely, won't qualify. My wife and I are Mission workers and that probably wouldn't qualify in the educational realm. I know one of the Profs there at MUN. You probably know him. Could you email me ([email protected]) and maybe we can touch base. Do you know of any outlets there in St John's that deal with Mac sales?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,391 Posts
Check out http://www.mun.ca/cpc/ which is the URL for the Computer Purchasing Centre at MUN. I think that you need to be a student or prof, but teachers also have qualified, so one never knows. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dr G- I checked with the computer sales dept and you have to be a prof or student. That's that I guess.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,391 Posts
Such is Life. How do you find life in Goose?

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We really enjoy the area. After living in Nain for 5 years, Goose Bay seems awfully big. Goose bay used to be just a lay over for us if we went out of Nain (which was only once in 4 years). Every once in awhile we will feel as though we still have to head back to Nain. Weird feeling. The kids have adjusted real well- at this age, they're very resilient. Good to hear from you, Dr G.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,391 Posts
I came to St. John's back in July, 1977 and every time I attempt to get up to Labrador, something happens to prevent my trip. Such is Life.

Are you and your wife with the Moravian Mission in Labrador?

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, we are with a inter-denominational Mission that works with aboriginals across Canada- (www.ncem.ca). We did work along with the Moravian Mission in Nain to some extent. We also work with those in Hopedale presently.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,391 Posts
This sounds like a most interesting position.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dr G., maybe you're familiar with a fellow prof there at MUN who has been instrumental in bringing Moravian archives to light through pictures. i don't believe it would be appropriate to name him here, but we enjoyed his visit when we were in Nain.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
csonni
my guesstimate for new iBooks is that they will be updated around May 1, that would be about 6 months from last update.
if you need one now, they are nice machines at a reasonable price, they just dropped the price of the high end 14 inch so now is a reasonable time to buy.
there may be an update bfore May, but you have to make your decision on your current needs and resources.
regards
mark

·
Canadian By Choice
117,391 Posts
Csonni, I believe I know to whom you refer, and I would agree with your comment about this prof.

·
Registered
8 Posts
and, don't forget that the current ibooks _may_ be the last macs with g3's. its hard to speculate on this, however.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts