Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess the basic issue is it just isnt necessary to comment on the price.
Just make your offer, if they take it then your in business.
if they want to hold on until hell freezes over then that's their business too.
I wouldnt be offended if you told me I was out to lunch, but others arent so pleasant to deal with.
One poster looked really ridiculous rfecently when he told the seller that the item he was offering was not up to par and his price was totally outragous, then he offered a totally lowball price. Sheesh , if you want something and want to make a low offer, just do it and dont go into a whole speal justifying yourself.

So to sum up, do it if you want, but it's just a pointless waste of time and energy.

[ April 23, 2003, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: minnes ]

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
I don't think it's silly, the reason being that there was a point a big fracas happened because a particular person tended to be a little over-zealous with their beliefs on how much various used items should cost.

If you don't believe an item is worth the asking price, private message the seller with several resources to back up your claim, and maybe the seller will revise their price?but do so nicely.

If the person doesn't believe they should revise their price, then leave it at that. It's easy for a situation to arise (as we've seen on this board).

You could always make an offer for a lower price... who knows. They may take it. :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't even think it's not being able to discuss price with the seller it's the fact that 90% of people who complain about the pricing have no intent on buying the stuff.People are just looking for an argument lately.

James

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Mannyp and James have summed up the situation.
I take issue at the way advise is given. Usually it is very polite, but some posters "may" be looking for a argument.
I feel an item is worth as much as you are willing to pay for it. (one persons garbage...)
Robert
ps: you could do a search to see what simular items sold for in the trading post.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Personally, I think the actual negotiations should take place offline...as in, not on the board. The price of an item is nobody's business except the buyer and seller.

Folks should simply explain the item they have for sale, give the tech specs and if someone is interested, contact the seller by email. This way, you avoid the cost debates and the people doing business can simply get down to it.

It's a simple matter of supply and demand. Other users should not be complicating other people's buying and selling. If someone is unsure of a price, I am sure they will ask for our help.

My two cents...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The reasons were pretty simple. There were people that basically caused problems (many times) in the sense that arguments and postings were getting out of hand.

There are people, like myself, that have stopped using them altogether because of how things got out of hand.

Instead of removing the forum completely, ehMax took charge and posted those rules.

Sure, many of us can act like adults in the forums, but not everyone.

As well, it's best to discuss prices in a private method, such as email or private messages through the board.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
31,001 Posts
James was a model of succinct in summing it up.
I just have a couple of points to add.

Remember what your mother told you..."If you can't say something nice......

BUT
DO praise the machine - not the price if you have something to add that is worth knowing

DO clarify or ask pertinent questions that are not covered ( ie screen size on a portable ) even if you aren;t buying it's a neighborly thinkg to do
An active thread is useful and I agree negotiations off thread are best but pros and cons can be very useful to others as long as their accurate.
The more knowledgeable we all are the better we can make tchnology decisions.

For instance many do not make battery assessment a part of their consideration about buying an older portable.

Common sense, courtesy, informed commentary all make for a good Trading Post.
Price discussion best off thread.

[ April 23, 2003, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: macdoc ]

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
96 Posts
Really, if you don't like the price don't buy it. I mean I find some of the prices of some things pretty comical
, but I just don't buy them.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Perhaps new rules should be drafted, something to this effect:

a) Post the item, brand, model #, condition of item/packaging, warranty/receipt if available, and an optional link to a photo url.

b) Conclude description of sale of item(s) with: "PM me if you are interested in my asking price". Maybe even add a line such as "$xx, or Best Offer - PM me to conclude sale."

The thread could be replied to if an interested buyer wants clarifying info on items included, condition, location of seller, etc.

c) Seller should reply to message and claim that it's SOLD.

my 2 cents.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have read a few threads on this and I wanted to bring it up, because i feel its a tad silly.

Why is there some sort of underlining rule that you cant comment on the price asked for an item in the Buy and Sell forum?

Thats ridiculous, your basically giving the go ahead for people to AIM as high as they can(if they are so inclined mind you) with hopes of some sucker taking the bait.

We should all be able to give our opinions openly about ANY piece of hardware being sold here if this is in fact a community, we should look out for each other, and not get all pissy if someone thinks we offer a bad price.

One of the coolest guys i have ever dealt with has been the Doc, he was always fair with me and honest, if someone comes on here and tries to pawn some stuff on this board and aims for the stars, either out of ignorance or out of greed, there should be no muzzle that allows him to rope another fellow member who may not be as knowledgable about products and what not.

I mean i read through that, and while most of the threads and pricing are fine, sometimes the pricing is a little off....I dont see the harm in calling someone on it.

I mean most of us are adults here, we should be able to be honest about what we feel is being posted, every forum is a discussion forum afterall.

just my two pennies.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
I would futher suggest that sellers NOT block their email addresses and reply to PMs and email promptly.

This makes communication between buyer and seller easier. Communication is key to any negotiation.

When the item is sold, change the name of the thread to include in captial letters "SOLD" at the beginning of the title of the thread and add a bump to bring the thread to the top so it is easy to see that the item has been sold.

If several items are listed, adjust the list to indicate which items have been sold. This "edit" will bubble the post to the top, again making users aware of a change.
Most multiple items (per post) sellers already adhere to this type of "list adjustment."

·
Registered
259 Posts
When the item is sold, change the name of the thread to include in captial letters "SOLD" at the beginning of the title of the thread and add a bump to bring the thread to the top so it is easy to see that the item has been sold.

Just a little note about a problem I've had recently -- sorta kinda off/on topic. For awhile, IT SEEMED when this new board software came into effect, I wasn't able to update my postings (big example) Power Mac for sale thread to reflect a change in price. I coudn't update my links to pictures which was frustrating. Seemed as if there was an expiry time that would lock down the particular post.

SINCE THEN, the problem seems to be fixed!
No more annoying/embarrassing double posts necessary.
:D

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
yes, i saw that "your time to edit this post has expired" message
must have been a setting on the UBB sfw.
allow posters to edit? YES
time limit to edit? NONE
probably some setting like 6 hours or so before and now either set to really high or not set at all

only his honour knows for sure....
(paraphrasing an old hair colouring commercial)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts