Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

What do you prefer?

• Light

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Medium

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Dark

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • Beer is bloody disgusting mate, I have no taste.

Votes: 11 14.3%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious. What do you prefer:

Light (Corona, Sol, Canadian, Keiths, etc), medium (Rickards Red, Russells Celtic, etc) or dark (Guinness, Kilkenny, etc)?

If you're like me, you like different beers at different times, but choose your _favourite_ for the purposes of this survey.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
I voted dark but overall it depends on the time of year, the weather & temperature.

Cool / cold weather: darker / stronger or darker beers like Guinness, Kilkenny, Charles Wells IPA, Unibroue's Maudite and La Fin du Monde etc., or (gawd I love) McAuslan Oatmeal Stout. When I home-brewed I usually made something along these lines (one day I'll start again but I want to buy a kegging system first - washing and sterilising a big batch of bottles on bottling day is a mighty drag).

Warm / Hot weather: lighter, specialty, or traditional styles such as Sapporo, Unibroue's Éphémère, McAuslan St. Ambroise Pale Ale & Apricot Wheat Ale, Sleeman Silver Creek Lager & Cream Ale, or a good Pilsner (Bitburger, Pilsner Urquell, Veltins, Fürstenberg, etc.).

:)

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Unapologetic beer snob here.

To answer the question before starting the rant: English-style brews like pale ale and bitter above all, also fond of Belgian-style ales and a good pilsner. The colour depends on the mood, though a good pale ale is suitable for any mood or weather. St. Ambroise Pale Ale is the king for me. (By colour alone, most people would call it red, but it is truly a "pale ale" in the strict sense.) Also, like TheDoug, a huge fan of St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout either bottled or on tap.

That said, my hierarchy is all about quality and craft, not colour.

The only mass-produced brews I'll buy: Guinness, Harp, a few other imports like Kilkenney or Boddington's, Tsingtao at Chinese restaurants.

Otherwise, it's micro and premium import all the way (McAuslan is my fave in a bottle, but overall a top brewpub is hard to beat), though I don't rule out those that have been bought out by majors as long as the quality holds. (Unibroue, I'm looking at you.)

But in my book faux-micros (like Rickards and Keiths) belong on the bottom of the same barrel as Bud Lite, Coors, Corona, Milwaukee's Beast, Blue and Canadian. Yuck.

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
Stella and Grolsch are the regulars. Heineken if the others are not available. Harp on the occasions when I remember to ask for it and others like Sapporo and Tiger every now and then. Chimay beers when I see them.

Ottawa residents and visitors looking to try out different beers can go to Pub Italia and get their, er, fill.
Pub Italia - Ottawa Pubs and Restaurants

I also remember this place from Calgary having a good selection:
http://www.bottlescrewbill.com/beerlist2004.pdf

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Icey cold Corona in the warm months. Guinness in fall and winter. Moretti or Red Baron in the bottle anytime of the year. Heineken or Stella if I have to. Blue or Stock if I'm going incognito in rural parts. MGD or a long neck Bud on the US.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
I voted dark but overall it depends on the time of year, the weather & temperature.
Agreed and the quality of beer also....

When I drink beer, I have a liking for Black and Tans - but I did not see that choice of colours :(

I tend to favour Smithwick's, Bass, Guiness (for the obvious), Quebec micro-brews (McAuslan, Cheval Blanc) and Warthog Cream Ale.

Ontario Beer Stores have interesting products at times also.

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
Guiness usually for me, but I dont mind throwing in a Moose Head of Keiths either.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
I prefer European Pilsners, mostly of the Czech variety. Pilsner Urquell, Staropramen, Golden Pheasant(Slovakia). On a hot day, outdoors, I'll drink any "barley pop" that's handy.:D

·
Honourable Citizen?
4,853 Posts
I couldn't click a button — I like 'em all, — if they're well crafted brew. I haven't had a Molson's, Labatt's, or Budweiser in probably a decade.

In a nod to the drug thread, when my beer supply runs out, I often resort to petty crime and prostitution. beejacon

... not doing real well with the prostitution ...

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
I couldn't click a button — I like 'em all, — if they're well crafted brew. I haven't had a Molson's, Labatt's, or Budweiser in probably a decade.

In a nod to the drug thread, when my beer supply runs out, I often resort to petty crime and prostitution. beejacon

... not doing real well with the prostitution ...
I do a B, double E, double R, U-N

·
Honourable Citizen?
4,853 Posts
Quebec has it good with beer on every corner; you may like it there. It does not make up for the taxes, but every now and then la belle province gets it right. Vive le inebriation!
Yeah, now that I'm 50, turning street tricks to score a six pack o' suds ain't as easy as it used to be. Even with lots of yoga. beejacon

Sorry, I'm derailing, please ignore my nonsense. :)

·
Premium Member
8,903 Posts
Between the yoga tricks and foil body-suit in the other thread, I don't think that there's enough sorry in the world* to compensate for the visual that you have created.

Drew Carey: "I have to go poke out my mind's eye."

*From an ad for some movie years ago. I'm not sure if the final release used the line.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I usually like trying different kinds depending on my mood, but recently discovered a relatively new brewery, the Mill Street Brewery out of the Distillery District in Toronto. They make a kick-ass IPA, Tankhouse Ale, among others like a Coffee Porter. Seriously one of the better beers coming out of Ontario.

·
Premium Member
23,459 Posts
Just came back from an informal beer-tasting with a couple of buddies. Blew the froth off a dozen different brews from two continents and five countries ranging from a blonde ale to a black & tan, from a really good IPA to a nice Porter and points in between.

That about covers it, depending on mood, food, season, et al.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Found this in New Brunswick, while doing my 'visiting prof' gig at UNBSJ (great success - good time was had by all). Very nice ale! If you like Rickard's Red, you'll like this (maybe more!)! It is (like Rickard's) a fairly good production attempt at a Scottish style.
View attachment 3288

1 - 20 of 28 Posts