ehMac banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden today my 27" iMac (10.6.8) is having constant spinning beachball problems. It started in Safari, but I couldn't access any other programs or the Finder. After every restart now everything seems fine and then about 5 minutes in - boom, more beachball. My startup disk has plenty of room available. I've disconnected all peripherals (HD's, hub, etc) but the problem persists.

Is there a program I can try to run to diagnose this?

Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
How many GB's of space you got left?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
900GB free

1TB HD

My iTunes library and any downloads go to an external drive. I like to keep my main HD as simple as possible.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just tried to run Disk Utility upon the most recent restart and it seems like the hard drive is failing. Major Bummer. Anyone know of a service that'll come to your house to replace a hard drive in an iMac?

·
Apple Certified
2,726 Posts
I just tried to run Disk Utility upon the most recent restart and it seems like the hard drive is failing. Major Bummer. Anyone know of a service that'll come to your house to replace a hard drive in an iMac?
Where are you located? Do you have AppleCare (covers 2 business day on-site for desktop)?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where are you located? Do you have AppleCare (covers 2 business day on-site for desktop)?
I'm in North York area. No AppleCare left. Any idea how much the Apple Store would charge to replace the HD?

Also if anyone has any other Apple Repair suggestions, I'm listening.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Night be good time to go SSD seeing as you keep your data on an external.

Apple won't do it but an AASP should be able to o it.

·
Apple Certified
2,726 Posts
I'm in North York area. No AppleCare left. Any idea how much the Apple Store would charge to replace the HD?

Also if anyone has any other Apple Repair suggestions, I'm listening.
$275 for the drive (plus labour) for the Apple official replacement drive. Otherwise, as it's got a proprietary temperature sensor, you have to short the sensor or use a fan controller app, or else your iMac will run it's fans full blast.

Night be good time to go SSD seeing as you keep your data on an external.

Apple won't do it but an AASP should be able to o it.
That's correct, although, you still have to address the fan issue.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$275 for the drive (plus labour) for the Apple official replacement drive. Otherwise, as it's got a proprietary temperature sensor, you have to short the sensor or use a fan controller app, or else your iMac will run it's fans full blast.

That's correct, although, you still have to address the fan issue.
Thanks G-Mo, I'll call around and see what happens.

Going SSD would be more expensive, no?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts

·
Apple Certified
2,726 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
That program has expired.
Expired? Why does it say "Apple will replace affected Seagate hard drives, free of charge, until July 23rd, 2013. Apple will continue to evaluate service data and will provide further extensions to this program as needed."?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Not unless you have a time machine:
"July 23rd, 2013"
Ah, my bad. Originally it was until July 2012 when this program first came into effect last summer.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My iMac isn't eligible for that program. Looks like I'll have to get someone to replace the HD. Still taking suggestions on local Authorized Apple repair people.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts