Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Be a HERO and Help STOP SOPA Now!!

Tags
sopa stop
5K views 80 replies 21 participants last post by  eMacMan 
#1 ·
#6 ·
A further problem here is that the Obama Administration has been extremely keen on increasing control over the Internet and its content. They're unlikely to be moved by any rational argument against SOPA--it will be best to merely state: "We will haul your ass out of office if you vote for this."

#7 ·
And where BO goes Harpo meekly follows. Impossible to avoid with his head stuck so far up BOs heine.

#9 ·
Finally some sensible legislation:

Dutch Parliament: Downloading Movies and Music Will Stay Legal

In an attempt to reduce widespread piracy in the Netherlands, the government there recently introduced a plan that would make downloading movies and music unlawful. However, this proposal was binned yesterday by a motion from the Dutch parliament due to concerns it would restrict the free flow of information, invade the privacy of citizens and invite copyright trolls. Instead, they encourage the entertainment industry to focus their attention on providing authorized alternatives.
http://torrentfreak.com/dutch-parli...tm_campaign=Feed:+Torrentfreak+(Torrentfreak)

#10 ·
Finally some sensible legislation
Agrees. Bringing the Draconian forces of government to turn ordinary citizens into felons is a losing proposition. When these companies decided to digitize their entertainment, then provide products that would help to easily distribute them, the horse left the barn on the old business models.

#22 ·
+1 Mr. Mayor. I believe you do an admirable job being even handed and fair with your virtual community and its citizens. :clap::clap::clap::clap: His Honour the Mayor.

I for one wish to take this time to sincerely thank-you.

#23 ·
Add another "+" for our Mayor on his "admirable job" and fairness in dealing with a very eclectic group of ehMacLanders. Paix, Mr. Mayor.

#24 ·
#26 ·
This legislation was written by and for the moguls of the entertainment industry. Support from artists varies from almost none to non-existent. The threat to the general public was criminal.

Even so the only reason it is being shelved is that it is an election year. As the Gropinator says: "It will be Bach."

#28 ·
#29 ·
If the mayor was to decide to blackout ehMax tomorrow I would not be upset. We need to do everything possible to stop the stupidity (STS).

#32 ·
Google is still chicken. Wow a little black box, big deal. Shut it down for a couple of days and then see, and work with the other search engines to do the same. That is balls. Wikipedia means nothing, it makes no money from ads. It is barely staying alive as it is.

RIM could step up and shut its service for day. They might actually win some support for standing up to SOPA

#33 ·
Protect IP Act Breaks the Internet

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The video above discusses the Senate version of the House's Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA). In the Senate the bill is called the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA). SOPA has gotten more attention than PIPA because it was moving faster in the legislative process. But PIPA is just as dangerous, and now it is moving faster.
PIPA would give the government new powers to block Americans' access websites that corporations don't like. The bill lets corporations and the US government censor entire websites and cut sites off from advertising, payments and donations.
This legislation will stifle free speech and innovation, and even threaten popular web services like Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook.
The bill is scheduled for a test vote in the Senate on Jan. 24th: We need to act now to let our lawmakers know just how terrible it is. Will you fill out the form above to ask your lawmakers to oppose the legislation and support a filibuster?
PROTECT IP Act Breaks the Internet

#35 ·
okay so help me out here....i get that users of internet services believe that it is their fundamental right to browse, download, pass on anything they please....whether they own it or not. however, if you are the owner of an intellectual property and someone grabs it and places it free on the net wouldn't you be a wee bit angry? look what has happened to the music business...we have gone from sales of records,cds,downloads as the major revenue stream to almost giving it away....but jacking up concert prices...i don't kmow about you but $350 for a U2 concert seems a bit much. so how do you protect your intellectual property? personally i don't find the U.S. legislation too unreasonable under the circumstances...we hold radio stations. TV stations, newspapers and such accountable for their products which are either broadcasted or published with the expectation that the.owner of the product is acknowledged and compensated...why should the net be any different? So, i ask again is the protection of someone's intellectual property wrong....what would you suggest if you had to write that piece of legislation?

#39 ·
I don't see this as an end of the world piece. Owners of sites would of course not want to be held accountable....at issue is how does one protect their interests...both intellectual property holders and web site owners...as for the powers of government......have you forgotten we live in Canada? Our government controls everything.....you think we won't look at this legislation as well....the difference will be the market impact and lobby network involved. Write a book, make a.movie, produce an album and then watch someone steal it and publish it on the web for e everyone to watch, read,listen for free, then tell me what you think. This "free the world on the web" attitude will only drive up consumer costs in the long run. So, again, i ask what other choice is there.....many complain ( and this is a U.S. legislation which may be replicated in Canada ) but what alternatives is anhone offering.

#46 ·
I'm not sure on the alternatives, but from my understanding the following could happen:

a.) I have a .com domain. So it's a commercial domain in the same line as .org is for organizations and .net is for IP's, used world wide.

b.) I post a link on my links page to something that some mogul in Hollywood finds offensive

c.) He puts through an order to have my domain shut down (.com's are administered from the U. S.)

d.) All of a sudden, the only way to my web site is by knowing the IP address.

So, no due process, violation of Canadian sovereignty as I have done nothing wrong in Canada, a black mark on whatever reputation I have, and potentially months and months of down time and thousands of dollars in legal fees and traveling to the States to get my domain back. Absolutely unacceptable.

Go take a look at the thread Visually Humorous Post of the Day. If this site were a .com site, it would now be in jeopardy. Those graphics came from somewhere.

I look at this is a attempt at an extension of American sovereignty. Spain has just been forced into a SOPA type law by the American government. There are Wiki Leaks indicating that it was essentially pass this law or have your trade designation changed.

I am sure there is really heavy pressure being put to our government.

There is in incident right now in England where they are extraditing a teenager to the U.S. who has/had a web site that gave links to download TV shows and I think movies. Please note, he was not hosting the shows, he just had links to other sites that did on his site. This is the equivalent of of you telling your friend "Go to this site to watch Mad Men" and having your ass hauled off to the U. S. to stand trial.

There is lots going on here. Methinks SOPA/PIPA is just the tip of the iceburg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.