Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Is there a BBM client for the iPhone, either through RIM or through a 3rd party?
Nope. Rumours of it though. Nothing yet.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
this is what RIM should be doing, being a software company first who sells their services on all devices.

Let the hardware be secondary.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
Well I kind of agree, the CMO just quit/fired whatever you want to call it, at the time they are about to launch the Playbook, don't you find that odd?

Their stock has been dropping for a long time now. I think they should stick to what they do best, and thats secure email transfer.

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
I heard the bbm client will be published for both iOS and Android will just be for text. No file transfer of any type. And it won't be free.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Some people use WhatsApp as a way of communicating between BB and iPhone for "free" (in that it uses a minimal amount of data). I believe the App is either free or fairly cheap for both platforms.

See, I think it would be stupid of RIM to bring out BBM for iPhone. I know so many people who say "I'd love to switch to an iPhone, but I'm addicted to BBM/all my friends are on BBM!" The only reason they keep buying BlackBerries is BBM. Yes, they could start to transition to being a more software oriented company and charge a fee for BBM, but I would be surprised if they could ever make as much from that as they do now.

That being said, with a BBM app they would have the market pretty well cornered on mobile messaging almost instantly. So I suppose that's something.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Yep, every kid I talk to that uses BB tells me the same thing, that the reason they use BB is for BBM. I have friends that have switched from iPhone to BB simply because of BBM. I think it would be a huge mistake to take the one feature that makes their product unique and sell it for every other platform.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
Yep, every kid I talk to that uses BB tells me the same thing, that the reason they use BB is for BBM. I have friends that have switched from iPhone to BB simply because of BBM. I think it would be a huge mistake to take the one feature that makes their product unique and sell it for every other platform.
I am confused, in one statement you said BBM is why RIM unique, then you say it would be a mistake to sell more of that. RIM makes money on subscribers not hardware, hardware right now gets them subscribers. Subscriber numbers is what they report to share holders. it would be stupid of them not to do this. And if Apple ever allows it RIM will build a email client for iPhone and Andriod, you'll see.

·
Registered
581 Posts
This rumor has been circulating since the first iPhone. It's not going to happen anytime soon, it's the only thing BB has going for it.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
If RIM completely switches gears, making a BBM client and charging a bit for it (or even a subscription) could make sense...

But currently it's one of the main selling features of their devices, along with the security.

What I don't understand is why it's such a huge selling feature to so many people who can't possibly live without it... I can understand if you have friends that you BBM in other countries, or if you happen to send files a lot, or if you do a lot of group messaging. But other than that, why not just text or FB message?

I finally convinced my sister-in-law to check out other devices besides BBs when she was upgrading. When I showed her the iPhone and the HTC Desire, she was blown away. She went for an iPhone 4 and she loves it.

I love BlackBerry as a company and I am always rooting for them to do well. But they have been on a downward spiral, acting very reactively, not being the innovators they once were. They dropped the ball with the Storm (missed the touchscreen market completely), and they've been playing catch-up ever since.

I've been told that with their huge infrastructure investments, they are poised to do huge things. And that buying QNX is just the beginning. And that there are big things to come.

The problem is, at some point you actually have to ship something instead of just doing product announcements and talking about what's to come.

Reactions: Paul82

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
ya wasn't there some tablet supposed to come out from them, ha ha, everyone is catch up now, they probably have gone back to the blackboard again with iPad announcement.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Count me as one that can't quite see the point of BBM who really need ANOTHER messaging platform, I already have plenty as it is... most of which push instantly to my phone... (txt's, 4 email accounts (only 3 push instantly), facebook (both chat and messages), 3 msn messenger accounts, gmail chat, etc... need I really go on?

So my question is what's so special about BBM other than that I'd only be able to access it via my blackberry, one of the biggest advantages of the others that I can see is that I can access them all (except for txt) from my desktop or any other web connected device if I want...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Count me as one that can't quite see the point of BBM who really need ANOTHER messaging platform, I already have plenty as it is... most of which push instantly to my phone... (txt's, 4 email accounts (only 3 push instantly), facebook (both chat and messages), 3 msn messenger accounts, gmail chat, etc... need I really go on?

So my question is what's so special about BBM other than that I'd only be able to access it via my blackberry, one of the biggest advantages of the others that I can see is that I can access them all (except for txt) from my desktop or any other web connected device if I want...
Blackberry Messenger is a skin on top of the basic PIN to PIN messaging which has been there on these devices for long. A “PIN” is a hardware address, similar to a MAC address, and is unique to every BlackBerry device. A “PIN” however is not an authentication password nor is it a user identifier. It is the method by which the BlackBerry device is identified to the RIM relay for the purpose of finding the device within the global wireless service providers’ networks.
This also makes it very difficult to spoof, hence secure, you can't steal someones pin, you would have to steal someones blackberry to gain access to their pin.

and another reason companies like it is BES (blackberry enterprise sever)

BES offers is Peer-to-Peer messaging encryption (Peer-to-peer is another name for PIN-to-PIN). This sets a unique encryption key all BlackBerrys in that organization use when sending and recieving PIN-to-PIN messages. This key is not available to RIM so your messages will be private within your closed BES community.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used to be a BlackBerry person, and I loved using BBM. It was awesome and it was the one reason I shied away from getting an iPhone. But my love of my other Apple products began to sway me and I picked up an iPhone 4 and never looked back. BBM isn't really a necessity in the mobile world for me. However, I am excited about the prospect of having BBM on an iPhone, just so I can communicate with some BB friends who prefer to use that. Texting from a BB is a little less enjoyable than an iPhone (from my experience).

Right now, a lot of people seem to be downloading and using LiveProfile (free in the app store) to get the functionality of BBM. It also designates you a PIN, but you can't add BBM PIN's. It is cross-platform, however, with iPhone, Android and BB's. It's decent and you get your message delivery/read notifications, etc...but it's still a tad bit buggy in it's first iteration. But it does show much promise. So if you want BBM on an iPhone, this is probably the better solution out there right now until BBM becomes official for iPhone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts