Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The best news in yrs to come out of the RIm camp was about their free BBM app for rival platforms.

It's apparently topping the charts world wide - overnight.

Are ppl really longing for BBM that badly? It's all I was hearing about before the Keynote today. I just rolled my eyes.

So what now for BB? Is there a follow up?? This is despite the fact that they apparently begged Rogers to carry their Z30, and Rogers was very ready to pass on the device entirely. LOL.

Anyhow, has anyone here found some boosterish bandwidth to download and install BBM for iPhone? There's apparently a waiting list... whatever that means.

H!

·
Premium Member
1,734 Posts
It beats the competition hands down for cross platform communication. It's one of the very few things people who switched from BlackBerry miss.

But, I fear it's way too little and too late. Personally, I'll stick to sms for those 4 people I know still using blackberry devices.

·
Registered
417 Posts
You should be able to bypass the waiting list. Just enter your email address the first time, kill the app from the multitasking/recent apps list, go back in and enter your email again and it lets you sign up for some reason. At least that worked for me. I got the email hours after I had already signed up. :)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But, I fear it's way too little and too late. Personally, I'll stick to sms for those 4 people I know still using blackberry devices.
That's what i was telling a friend of mine. IDK. I know it was powerful in it's day, but you're also talking about a new user who could - I think - care less for massive features. Can I send the racy photo? yes? cool. LOL.
I still recall when Apple announced iMessage, BB analysts were saying - that's it. The last bit of edge that BB may have held was now dissolved.

I simply don't see the need. b/w iMessage and What's App, it's all 90% covered.

This is nostalgia screaming, but maybe I'm missing out... Hold on, someone is sending me a pic. BRB. ;)

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
Sure go ahead. Download it for free then upload all your contacts to RIM. LOL. Nice database they get to build. got what looks like an automatic message from someone saying to download BBM for iPhone and here is my BBM number or ID or whatever they call it. Must have happened when they gave BBM access to their contact list. This person has an iPhone and uses iMessage. I even dropped WhatsApp. All cell packages have unlimited SMS so no need for 2 SMS apps. iMessages works and has done well.

If you have a need to see when someone is typing or if they read or received your message, .....

·
Registered
417 Posts
You can put your tin foil hat away. BBM does not access your contacts. The user had to manually choose you to send the message to. iMessage is fine but not cross platform. Whatsapp is easy to use but they do actually access all your contacts.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
You can put your tin foil hat away. BBM does not access your contacts. The user had to manually choose you to send the message to. iMessage is fine but not cross platform. Whatsapp is easy to use but they do actually access all your contacts.
No Tin foil.

Which platform doesn't use SMS or MMS again?

·
Premium Member
1,734 Posts
:lmao::lmao::lmao::love2:

You got to love RIM or Blackberry or what ever they are called. Looks like I should revive my thread.
Different strokes I guess ... the beauty of BBM is you had an identifier you could hand out, ban at will, but not have to give your cell number out in the process. I've met quite a few people through BBM chat. Don't really have the time anymore but that doesn't negate that some do enjoy it.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
iMessage doesn't use SMS or MMS. The Messages app will fail back to those methods if the person you are messaging doesn't use iMessage but that's not the same thing.
The Messages app uses SMS and MMS which is cross platform. So what does WhatsApp or BBM do that would make someone install it? If it is to see when someone is typing :lmao::clap::roll eyes:, if it is to know when someone reads the message :lmao::clap::roll eyes:

Like I said all those apps are no longer useful or needed as all plans no days include unlimited SMS and MMS so whats the point of BBM or WhatsApp?

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
Different strokes I guess ... the beauty of BBM is you had an identifier you could hand out, ban at will, but not have to give your cell number out in the process. I've met quite a few people through BBM chat. Don't really have the time anymore but that doesn't negate that some do enjoy it.
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

·
Registered
674 Posts
The Messages app uses SMS and MMS which is cross platform. So what does WhatsApp or BBM do that would make someone install it? If it is to see when someone is typing :lmao::clap::roll eyes:, if it is to know when someone reads the message :lmao::clap::roll eyes:

Like I said all those apps are no longer useful or needed as all plans no days include unlimited SMS and MMS so whats the point of BBM or WhatsApp?
SMS is not free on all data packages. Not sure where you get that. And international SMS is a packaged upgrade on all carriers. MMS is also not.

iMessage and BBM use Apple and RIM networks but fall back on SMS when the recipient is not found on their network. iMessage and BBM are always free nationwide and/or international.

You can see this on your iMessage. If it delivers by SMS it says so under the speech bubble.

BBM messages show up in red! Need I say more!

·
Registered
417 Posts
You need to go back and read what you wrote. You originally kept saying iMessage so I corrected you that iMessage is not SMS/MMS. I was talking about iMessage when I said it's not cross platform which it isn't.

Group messaging with SMS is a pain compared to using BBM, whatsapp or iMessage.
SMS/MMS are less secure than these messaging services.
MMS is not ideal for sending photos due to compression of the photo before sending.
Not everyone has unlimited SMS/MMS or data packages. These alternatives allow people to message while connected to wifi if they choose to.

Judging by your laughing at another poster I can see your maturity level and will stop replying to you in this thread.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I downloaded it but it is so not integrated into iOS. It is a pain to add contacts. I doubt I'll ever use it. I'll probably delete it eventually.

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
BBM is like iMessage, except you have to get some cryptic weird new phone number, learn a whole bunch of new commands, and you can't FaceTime with it...but at least you're trying to keep a nearly-corpse-like Canadian has-been company alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
peek-a-boo
16,425 Posts
well it can't be that bad, if 10 million already downloaded it.

So says the guy who probably won't download this ;)

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
well it can't be that bad, if 10 million already downloaded it.

So says the guy who probably won't download this ;)
It can be that bad, actually. I suspect most downloads are out of curiosity, but by all appearances this app does less than iMessage already does and you have to use some new weird cryptic alphabet-number to boot. Just too little too late. A can just text message his few Blackberry friends.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts