Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a neat, free, little OS X utility that provides battery stats for powerbooks called BatteryStatsX. It determines the maximum amount of charge the battery can hold.

I have two 15" and two 17" batteries. One of my 15" batteries always seemed to discharge faster than the other and its max charge is noted at 1908 by BatteryStatsX. The good battery has a maximum charge of 3592, almost 90% better.

There's also an excellent series of reports on MacInTouch discussing ways to get the best from (or sometimes resussitate) batteries (esp. Li Ion). For example, these batteries decay over time, no matter what so its best to avoid old stock or second hand Li Ion batts.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks jwoodget. Great little app. I have a 2 1/2 year old Ti battery. It's max charge is 2298. Looks like about half way through it's life.

cheers

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried the kids iBook (500 MHz, dual USB) battery last night. Full charge was 90! It lasts 7 minutes off AC.... Have tried all of the tricks but this is one hosed batt. Question is whether to pay $199 + tax for another or just make em plug in. Come to think of it - they can get used to plugging in....

·
Canadian By Choice
117,646 Posts
jwoodget, our local MacMaven here at MUN has a 12" AlPB and keeps it plugged in all the time. He also has it hooked up to a large LCD display and a wireless keyboard. It is a unique setup, but it works for him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts