Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom has a MacBook Air 13" (mid 2012). It was running Yosemite and had a battery issue. As soon as I disconnected the power cable the computer would go blank and would only be usable when connected to the power cable. I have a genius bar appointment later today. While at work I thought I would do an update to Sierra. Now with the MacBook Air updated to Sierra it runs normally. In Yosemite the battery had "service" displayed, in Sierra it shows condition "normal". Could it simply have been an OS version or should I still look at replacing the battery?

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Five years on - not unheard of that the battery has given up the ghost.

New batteries run about $115 (LINK IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT), just ordered one for a friend here in Mexico. When it arrived, and we prepped for "surgery", I discovered that nobody had the right (Pentalobe P-5) screwdriver. Have spent the last few days searching the computer shops here, and it might as well be a unicorn. Ordering one from OWC today.

FYI there's an easy-to-follow guide to replacing the battery over at iFixit. The only really tricky part is properly removing the battery cable connector, other than that, just keep track of the Torx screws (two different lengths).

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no issue paying Apple for the repair, I think it is around $170 for them to do it. I am more just curious how it went from needing service in Yosemite to being "normal" in Sierra. Will just let me mom get back to using it and see how it holds up.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
An older site says:
"Design Capacity: It’s your battery capacity when your battery was manufactured. This let you know your battery condition is good or not. If your design capacity shows under 90%, the condition of your battery is not that good. Here is a TIP to increase your battery design capacity on macbook."

https://www.pntbrother.com/how-to-use-coconut-battery-macbook-pro-retina-batterys-health-checker/

And that Cycle count is getting up there but is only about half way to the maximum according to apple's kb site article:

MacBook Air (13-inch, Late 2010)
Maximum Cycle Count = 1,000
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201585

1 - 6 of 6 Posts