Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago, I foolishly disabled the Performance Management feature that was enabled after an unexpected shutdown, because I did not know any better. This was OK for a while, but now I am starting to get these shutdowns again and cannot find a way to re enable the Performance Management. This started happening after the upgrade to iOS 15. Using Low Power Setting seems to help.

Searching the Apple Support site, I find that Performance Management cannot be re enabled manually. But it says it should get enabled after the next unexpected shutdown. But this is not happening on my phone.

I am thinking that a factory reset might do it, but was hoping to avoid that.

iPhone 6s, iOS 15.1, Battery Health is down to 80%.

·
Super Moderator
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I was not aware of the Apple Support app. I just downloaded and ran the app and all it shows for the battery is what is displayed in iOS settings, with a couple of links with information. It also notes that if the device restarts unexpectedly, the Performance Management should get turned on again. This is not happening.

Going out today. Will try some more searching this evening.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Peterweb,
I would suggest you contact Apple, or go to an Apple store. In the store they can run diagnostics to determine if there are any issues with your software, or hardware. They have done that for me, on my iPhone 6S Plus, more than once. The good news is you may get them to change the battery, for a fee, as it is supposed to maintain a maximum capacity of 80%. Since you are right at 80% you might find an Apple Genius, during the holidays, that will ok it. Glenn

·
Super Moderator
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure I want to spend any money on this phone, as I was planning on replacing it when it could no longer get the next major iOS upgrade. I thought it was going to be this year, but it turned out that the 6S was able to get iOS 15. So I have another year to go. I need the latest OS version for some app testing I do.

I may try a factory reset to see if that will enable the Performance Management again. If not, using Low Power setting for the battery does work for what I need, for now.

And Christmas is coming. Maybe I can get my next phone in my stocking...😜

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
I need the latest OS version for some app testing I do.
I hope you get paid for some of the testing you do to help pay for any new iPhone.

I am glad and fortunate that my wife's old iPhone 4 works well for my occasional use that I ended up using when my cell service told me last year they could no longer support my old Samsung flip-phone I had been using for years.

I even use it for a speedometer/odometer and GPS with my electric battery mobility cart. Luckily I got the app for my wife years ago for her to use on her long walks as it only works in ios 7.x and is no longer available on the App store.
I wish there was some other means of downloading old iOS version software 'cause Apple certainly doesn't support or make available old iOS app software versions.

Do you think they might be suggesting that I should buy a newer iphone...??? Nah... they just tell me "it's not supported" but it works fine for my use thanks anyway Apple. 😇

- Patrick
=======

·
Super Moderator
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope you get paid for some of the testing you do to help pay for any new iPhone.
Not paid as such. But there is a little thank you at Christmas time that over the years I have had this phone almost pays for a replacement. I really do it for the pleasure of helping others on another forum related to the products I test. Just like I post here. I'm definitely not one of those that requires the latest and greatest the day the new device is available.

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
I'm definitely not one of those that requires the latest and greatest the day the new device is available.
That is probably a very good sensible thing considering some of the various posts I have read, especially for those who jumped in with both feet and then are waiting for various updates in order to get their iDevice working properly again the way they need or or maybe want.

It seems to be a rather common thread the last few years for some to experience problems with the latest and greatest from Apple.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
184 Posts
That is probably a very good sensible thing considering some of the various posts I have read, especially for those who jumped in with both feet and then are waiting for various updates in order to get their iDevice working properly again the way they need or or maybe want.

It seems to be a rather common thread the last few years for some to experience problems with the latest and greatest from Apple.

- Patrick
=======
I have a iPhone 6s in front of me and cannot find Performance Management. Where is it?

Silver Back

·
Super Moderator
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a iPhone 6s in front of me and cannot find Performance Management. Where is it?

Silver Back
You find it in iOS Settings > Battery > Battery Health. It is noted in Peak Performance Capability if you have had your phone shut down unexpectedly. It is not a regular setting that you can turn on and off. It automatically gets turned on when your phone shuts down unexpectedly because the battery could not supply the peak power necessary for the current operation. When this happens, you are presented with an option to turn off the Performance Management. Do Not Do This, as you cannot go back and turn it on again. When this originally happened on my phone, the message in that section said the Performance Management would get turned on again when the phone unexpectedly shut down again. But this did not happen on my phone. I did contact Apple Support and they looked at my phone remotely and just saw the same messages I did. They could not turn the feature on for me.

Interesting note. Shortly after my session with Apple Support, the message was changed to remove the reference to the feature getting turned on again. So turning off Performance Management is definitely a one way street now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts