Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I'm actually rethinking this whole battery case thing over. My iPhone 6 battery didn't seem to do too well over the several years. I kept it in the battery case all the time. I think I'll get a battery case only for traveling when I know I'll need it. So, with that, any suggestions for a regular case for the iPhone X/XS?

Update: I ended up ordering one of these. Should do till something better comes a long. I never like the real thin stuff which which would cause me concern about bending.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0758DN85K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Just need to make sure all cases for the X will fit the Xs:

They sure should as each model, X and Xs has the same dimensions:
Dimensions: 5.65 x 2.79 x 0.30*
Details: In inches - height by width by depth (143.6 x 70.9 x 7.7 mm).

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I used to use the Mophie battery cases on previous iPhones but stopped when I got the 6 Plus. I opted for a small battery to carry around that I could plug anything into, iPad, iPhone, whatever, it charged it. Found this preferred when travelling as it gave me more options and was smaller then a deck of cards. Plus the added bulk to the phone really took away from the feel. They are definitely slimmer now then older Mophie battery cases but still nothing as slim as a leather Apple case.

This is not the one I have but the first one that came up on Amazon and looks pretty good
https://www.amazon.ca/AUKEY-20000mA...37208923&sr=8-11-spons&keywords=battery&psc=1

says it will charge an iPhone 8 plus 6.6 times. Not sure any battery case will top that.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When zooming in on my battery case coming (amazon even lists it for the X/XS), it looks like there’s a bit of wiggle room. Might not be with my Supcase.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
According to Supcase themselves, it’s a fit. How can they be sure until they have an XS in hand?

https://www.supcase.com/apple-iphone-x-unicorn-beetle-pro-full-body-rugged-holster-case

Believe it or not, Apple does work with a lot of companies prior to any public launch regarding their models.

I wouldn't be surprised if they even go some "dummy" physical products and were sworn to secrecy or any disclosure.

Break that promise or disclosure and they're dead as far as Apple is concerned. And probably all their Apple related business as well.

It's how the business world works and maybe add some money into the deals as well. :D

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Got my Supcase Unicorn Beetle Pro in the mail today. First thing I notice, it's labelled for the iPhone X. Second, the openings on the bottom are symmetrical for the iPhone X. I suppose that means a bit of the mic and/or speaker grill on my iPhone XS will be covered. I would also imagine that it will take some force to get the camera lens to fit into the opening. I suppose the same will be said for my battery case. Taking a trip late October and really wanted a case and battery case to take with.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
First preordered iPhone XS from Apple vanished into thin air. Never arrived. Ordered a 2nd one from an Apple rep on the phone. Was sent Oct 4 (he said overnight haha). Last location...Lachine Quebec. No UPS updates since Oct 11. I’m getting very suspicious with the UPS handler. It’s a 2 day drive from Montreal to Goose Bay and it comes straight here. Not happy with UPS at all! And Apple says any orders are shipped either UPS or Fedex...randomly.

Anyways, the point of my post....I had ordered 3 cases just after my initial preorder on Sept 14, two of the cases we labeled “for iPhone X/XS.
Has anyone run into any trouble with fitment of an iPhone X case on the XS, specifically around the camera lens? I’ve seen some pics where there’s a small gap in fitting an XS case onto an X, which translates into a tight fit for the X case onto the XS.

The only links I can find for this issue Are dated September and does include real world use.
The one I’m most concerned about since it’s a dedicated camera lens case, but it is labelled as being for both the X and XS as you can see:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BK9L6LX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’m now wondering if I should return any cases as my iPhone may not get here till late October and I don’t want to be stuck with non-returnable cases due to time.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I thought I had read that the XS camera was in a slightly different position which made X cases not the greatest fix. I could be wrong and cannot find where I read that.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There's lots of links in regards to the fit. Here's one YouTube link.
I just wanted to hear something with fitting the X case on the XS. The links all make reference to the XS case on the X.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRcW921V4to[/ame]

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Guess it was not worth trying to make the specs the same so people could use previous cases, I mean the sort of engineering that would be needed to do that would be astronomical. Always nice to see Apple working for the betterment of its consumers.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I actually read that one last night.
With some cases, though, if it's a perfect fit for the X, then I wonder if it will be too tight to fit over the camera lens bump on the XS.
With that Lens Case I purchased, I'm also wondering about the lenses that swivel over the bump. I did send an email to Stylus support on the matter.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Guess it was not worth trying to make the specs the same so people could use previous cases, I mean the sort of engineering that would be needed to do that would be astronomical. Always nice to see Apple working for the betterment of its consumers.

+1!!! And I keep wondering why so many seem to want to keep putting his highness Sir Jony Ive on some sort of worshipping ivory tower 'cause he keeps things so "new & improved" by moving things around or making things thinner so he and his crew can remove some ports and sell the user several dongles at an excessive price.

Oh well… not much change lately…

But in this case, I would suggest most could just bring out their dremel type tool or maybe just some sandpaper and a small X-Acto knife and do some trimming. ;)
In most instances, you’ll likely be perfectly using an iPhone X case with the iPhone XS, or vice versa. There might be a tad bit of an imperfect fit around the camera, but this will not affect the actually camera technology or photo quality at all.

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As an update, my Ztylus Lens Case and Unicorn Beetle Pro Case both fit fine. I do wonder how they’d look with the X having a small lens bump. Haven’t yet fitted it to my battery case.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just as a heads up, my tempered glass screen protector does not work with the Unicorn Beetle Pro Case. The protector is too thick to where the case slight pushes the protector up a bit at some sections and creates air pockets at the edge. I’m gonna have to look for a vinyl protector.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Had a phone outlet in the States install a new Zagg glass screen protector. It was thinner which the case doesnt affect.
One thing I’ve noticed about the case. When ever squeezing the sides, it creaks quite a bit. Even when pushing the off button. Doesn’t make my $1800 iPhone seem very premium. I’ve sent in a note to support.

Update: they’re sending a replacement. I wonder if the iPhone Xs is just a smidgin narrower than the X.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts