Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm making a CD booklet for a friend of mine's band, and I was wondering what I should use. My only experience in stuff like this is photoshop, which is fine for the actual creation of the pages, but I need something to put them together in a logical fashion for printing, layout, etc. I looked at some CD booklet programs, but most of them don't go past the cover page, and back page..nothing to make a booklet per say. Is this the realm of Quark and whatnot? I don't want to have to learn some complicated app like Quark, nor do I want to pay for something that expensive. Your advice...thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
CubaMark's right, AW is just fine and pretty easy to use.

Just about any word processor started taking on page-layout functions about a decade ago, so whatever you have will work. Probably easiest in AppleWorks, though.

You can also check out a full-blown program like RagTime Solo. It's free for non-commercial use (your application could be commercial, it depends on what happens next with the work you're doing. In that case it costs hundreds of $ to use).

However, like any true page-layout app, the learning curve is steep and probably not worth the effort for a 1-time job.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
You might not have to go to the trouble of layout.

Depending on where you are getting the job printed, they can do the page orderring for you. As long as you provide a detailed description of the page order, most places can do the job. Stay away from a design/printing house as they will charge for the layout work.

I used to use a Print Three for non-photographic work and they would do basic layout at no charge or a nominal charge depending on the job. These people know their equipment and sometimes the page orderring is a bit funky in order to get a proper output. In some cases, my layouts would have to be re-orderred so that the printer would handle them properly.

I'm not suggesting that anyone should try to avoid the effort or take advantage of a small business, but this is what sets some of the small print shops apart.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.