·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
64 bit cpu's mano a mano

WOW!!! the G5 was trounced by the Opteron in the 3D tests and just kept up or won by very small margins in the 2D tests.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
wow. i'm surprised the g5 didn't do better, but then, the opteron had twice the amount of video memory....

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
It would be interesting to see how the G5 compares to the Xeon or the Itanium. Most benchmarks I've seen show the Opteron behind the Xeon and the Itanium in terms of performance.

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Glass half full...
The G5 won all four 2D tests, two of those by fairly wide margins. And the 3D tests were a no-win situation due to the superiority of the Opteron's video card, and the DirectX advantage of those tests. Most importantly though, the G5 experience is elegant, the Opteron experience is clumsy. Let's call a spade, a spade.

I don't care how fast the G5 is compared to Windows machines, because I don't like Windows. But at least lets try to be accurate when criticising the Mac.

-Howie

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
I don't care how fast the G5 is compared to Windows machines,
Ditto here. My G5 is easily the fastest Mac I've ever owned (and faster than my Athlon machine at work), it takes everything I throw at it without bogging down, Panther is dreamy... and it has that important intangible that you never get with any Windoze device: pleasure of ownership.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 7 of 7 Posts