Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it depends what you do and what you need.

I record drums and require minimum of 4 tracks. (Kick, Snare and two Overheads)

I mostly use Pro Tools 10.

I've been using countless devices, Maxed Out 2012 Mac Mini Quad, maxed out late 2013 iMac, maxed out 13" and 15" rMBPs...etc.

Recently I've sold my desktop and went for a 2015 13" rMBP, thinking that it would probably be able to handle basic 4 track recording. (2.4Ghz 8gb 128gb I think)

When I started recording, it gave me overload error, I reduced it down to 3 tracks, same after 2 seconds of recording, went for 2 tracks, same thing.

I did not have any plug-ins, wifi was off, no program was running other than PT.

Make long story short, what will be your "bare-bone" set up for hard recording? Funny even mentioning "bare-bone" cause it will still cost fortune...

Some says Logic could handle same stuff much lighter than PT, but I am strictly using PT for now. Probably will grab Apple's new educational program pack.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I did a quick google search and came across this thread:
CPU OVERLOAD error 6101 HELP - Avid Pro Audio Community

Skimming through it seemed many were saying you should record to an external hard drive and not the internal. Might be worth a shot, externals are not that expensive and if you only have a 128gb hard drive as it is you will eat through that in no time.

I would think your MacBook should be able to handle it, a friend of mine uses ProTools on an older 27" iMac (last model with built in superdrive) and he has no problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that would be possible solution as well...just kept thinking it was weird with the 13" rmbp I was having trouble with...never done that before with any computer in the past, even with 11" macbook air maxed out...I had such pleasant experience with that little beast.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
It should be able to handle it no problem. Maybe it's the **** OS Apple has f'd us with. Running Sierra by chance? God awful OS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts