Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm picking up my MacBook tomorrow and soon enough I'll want a wireless internet connection. I know that I don't HAVE to shell out for an AirPort Express so I was wondering what a cheap alternative would be. One thing to keep in mind is that I'll still be using my G5 iMac for the majority of web stuff.
thanks
A

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
One often overlooked solution I'll suggest before everyone else tells you how to spend your money... If your iMac also has wireless, you can use it as a router. There's an option in preferences to share internet connection over wireless. It works great, and you don't have to pay a cent. :)

A7

·
Registered
346 Posts
Bare Bones Wireless

I am VERY satisfied using a Linksys WRT54G router with the open source (installed by the user) DD-WRT replacement firmware. BUT DON'T DO THIS WITH THE CURRENT VERSION. Linksys has been dumbing down their hardware, giving versions 5 and up too little RAM/ROM to do the job "properly".

The bare-bones solution is to pick up a refurbished Motorola WR850G version 2
for $30 from stores like www.techdirectcanada.ca (if they still have them. Go into the store and make sure you are getting the right version number. Some of the other versions are OK - the site www.openwrt.org has info on this.

Then install the dd-wrt firmware.

What I HATE about closed source solutions is that after a couple of years the manufacturer quits supporting the router. Exploits are found and NO LONGER FIXED. I have tossed two routers just for this reason.

The nice thing about DD-WRT and OpenWRT firmware is that they are both LINUX distributions. If you are comfortable at the Terminal in OS X then quite a bit of your BSD Unix knowledge transfers over as UNIX and LINUX have a lot in common.

Cheers - Terry

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried doing this but couldn't seem to get it to work. Any hints?

One often overlooked solution I'll suggest before everyone else tells you how to spend your money... If your iMac also has wireless, you can use it as a router. There's an option in preferences to share internet connection over wireless. It works great, and you don't have to pay a cent. :)

A7

·
Registered
619 Posts
Something I overlooked the first time I tried to do the same thing is that the firewall on the computer that is hosting the wireless hub (such as your G5 iMac) has to have specific ports opened to allow the connection to pass through.

22 for SSL connections.
25 for SMTM email.
80 for Web browsing.
110 for POP3 email.
427 for domain lookup (I think).

Probably best to just look at the following pages and figure out what you need ^_^. As always, if you don't know if you need a port opened or not, best to assume that you don't.

Here's Apple's list of commonly used ports:
"Well Known" TCP and UDP Ports Used By Apple Software Products

... and another slightly more complete:
TCP/IP Ports

I'd recommend starting with no password on the network and firewall off. If that works, password protect the network. If that works then add in the firewall limitations. Putting it all together from the beginning leads to frustration. ^_^;;

·
Bald by choice
9,055 Posts
I tried doing this but couldn't seem to get it to work. Any hints?
You never stated, so we are all assuming you have the necessary basics,
internet ISP, be it cable, DSL, or dial-up, plus the computer you want to connect to and share your connection with, needs to have a wireless card.
Personally I use a D-Link 624 router, I think it cost about $65 several years ago,
it has served me well.

jb

·
IAMSTIG
2,676 Posts
Nearly any cheap router will work fine with your mac. TrendNet has a very cheap wireless G router that's often on sale at Future Shop for under $30 that works surprisingly well. I don't know if you need VPN pass though or not though which works fine on the Trend unit but newer Linksys models have issues connecting via Cisco's VPN...which is ironic given that Cisco owns Linksys now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts