Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing to check from time to time if you have an auto backup system is that it's actually functioning.

My enormous messages file courtesy Outaluck Express decided to corrupt today and took a header into the unknown.
Since my backup is hourly I wasn't too concerned until I checked and realized it had stopped functioning June 24th....ouch. :(
Luckily through an odd set of circumstances the last weeks mail was still on the server and I had a recent copy elsewhere up to July 4th so while there is a gap it's not critical and I actually have ALL the mail on the OSX Entourage office box but if anyone can figure how to export from Entourage X to Outlook on 9 I'd be happy to listen. :mad:

Moral of the story:
a) backup, backup backup - it's cheap these days
b) check from time to time that the backup is working

c) do an incremental backup as it will cover off corrupted files ( my daily full backup covers this for me - only high traffic items are backed up hourly )

Also it appears it's not a bad strategy to keep mail on the server - Outlook lets me direct the server to delete anything I delete in Outlook but it still then maintains "useful" messages on the server for access from a different location.

Given the size of the files involved and volume of mail multiple strategies seem in order. The difficulty of integrating or importing/exporting mail from MS apps just makes it that much more important.
Happy ending to a stressful day
:D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
Coincidentally, my Apple retailer just finished recovering data from a drive which was in the G4 server of a major publishing company who had assumed their Retrospect strategy was looking after everything. Upon attempting to restore some data, they found Retrospect had stopped working (for whatever reason) about a month before. The expense of the data recovery was bad enough, but the 2 days downtime was the real killer.

Since that story unfolded, I make a habit of checking my Retrospect back up log every other day.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Right-on Macdoc: I keep my e-mail on my icoming POP accounts for 10 days (I run 3 separate accounts). This is sufficient for any short term panic. I also back-up my key data files do .Mac. The space isn't big but it's a start...

I am considering a more 'serious' backup alternative. My equipment is Alu12", iMac flat 15" (office) and LACie 120Gig FW drive (home). The portable and desktop can be arranged so that they have data pretty synchronised. What setup would you recommend, and how often?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Moral: Backup Retrospect?? :D

I feel like I've been having unprotected sex. I've never really backed anything up. I just need to clear my desk right now. No room for another device! But I do want to get that EXT HD. I hear you Macdoc! I read your notes all the time (your site that is). Q? Mac: does your HDs come with some s/w, or will you recommend an apple script?

H!

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Sorry to say this but part of your problem is using the MS software for your email. I used to use Outlook and Entourage but the fact that ALL the email is stored in a single database is just ASKING for trouble. They are nice programs but the insistance of a single file format is SCARY.

I switched to Mail.app when I went to Jaguar and while its not as feature full as Entourage it does store the mailboxes seperatly in the mbox format which is "industry-standard". If I have a problem with Mail I simply move the mbox files to my Linux machine and continue on my merry way.

I recently had a customer who was using our webmail system on our Linux system and wanted to archive the mailboxes into Outlook on the PC. Problem is, Outlook on the PC will NOT import mbox files. I have to massage them into Eudora first then import the Eudora files into Outlook.
What is it with Microsoft ignoring standards anyway? ;)

I've been fortunate to never have had a corrupted mailbox in either program but backups are ESSENTIAL. Our DLT Tape jukebox/library has never let us down and it backs up all our servers and workstations which total about 1TB of data. That's a LOT to lose if we ever did.

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree this single file concept is ludicrous and it looks like there is a 2 gig limit on it as well which caused a client problems.
I should have switched to Eudora but it had some things I didn't like as well.

I've never had a corrupted mail file previously and as mentioned it should not have been a problem if the backup was working.but hey - these things can bite

I think it's ridiculous the "non-standard" approaches Microscoff foists upon the computing world.
There are a few class action lawsuits floating around. :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts