Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know much about copy right laws, so any info I can get would be great. But here is what I would like to know, I have been building a DVD collection. I some of these DVD's were hard to find, I want to burn them onto another DVD as a backup that I can use, so I dont have to worry about scratching the original DVD. Is this legal? and if so how do I go about backing up my DVD's?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Take a look at the Canadian Copyright Act. I've got a copy of it, but having quickly scanned through Part VIII: Private Copying, only noticed rights applying to sound recordings, which allows you copy material you've purchased so long as it is for private use.

You can find the Copyright Act at http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33799

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think you are allowed to make 1 copy as long as you don't sell it or rent it out. Also, if the original is no longer yours you have to destroy the backup.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Technically, you shouldn't be able to back up a DVD because of CSS encoding to prevent pirating, regardless of what fair-usage copyright laws there may be.

Any program that uses the deCSS code is outlawed right now, as far as I know, so regardless of whether it does fall under the fair-usage act is, in the eyes of the law, a moot point.

Having said that... Who doesn't cross that line once in a while? :confused:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't cross that line... Every song I have on my iPod comes from my collection, every DVD I have is an original, all my software is original.

But what really gets me is, when doing channel surfing is that TVPC infomercial dude telling people that the PC 'o the week comes with DVD copying software (DVD X Copy or something like that). A 29.95 value!!! And he uses lines like "you can copy Hollywood DVDs" (might not be an exact quote, but close enough).

Now I'd like to see a lawyer take that one on! That would be a riot. Going after the company and their customers!

John

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
My line mentioning of "crossing the line" wasn't in reference of pirating music/movies/software, or pirating of any kind, for that matter.

Using deCSS is against the law in the U.S. (not sure about Canada). As far as I know, you can't back up a DVD movie (that you purchased) that uses CSS protection to another DVD -- without the use of external applications

Also, I've never tried, but I am not sure if downloading a DVD works on your HD either.

In either case... regardless of your legal rights as a consumer, you may create a copy of whatever piece of material you own (as far as the whole music/movie thing goes, again, AFAIK), but the SNAFU is the whole deCSS thing.

The whole idea that (as far as the law says) It's okay to make a DVD copy for own personal use, but don't you dare use an illegal piece of software to do it! ;)

EDIT: Okay, scratch that. I just did a little digging around and it appears to be perfectly legal to use security circumventing software in Canada... as far as DeCSS is concerned. So... everything I said before only would really apply to the U.S. -- or whatever other countries that have that particular law in effect. Far be it for me to actually research the topic a little before I contribute. :confused:

Carry on.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so if I can now backup DVD's by making a copy for my own sole use, does anyone know how to do this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tried making a copy of my 'woody the wood picker' dvd because it was getting really scratched up from use some time back by coping the whole dvd to the desktop,then inserting a blank dvd in the superdrive.
Didn't work. Wasted a blank.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
The other problem you'll have is size. Most commercial DVDs are dual layered, I believe, whereas DVD-R media is single layered. You'll probably need 2 DVD-Rs per DVD and you'll have to switch DVD-Rs in the middle of the movie when you're watching it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
To give yourself a basic understanding of the technology you should check out this site . It's mainly for pc users but it'll give you the perspective you need to move onto the difficult task ahead.

Now for Mac specific stuff you should go to the Mac DVD Resource

They have the popular OS 9 version of dvd ripping software but also a OS X version

I haven't tried any of this software but users claim it works.

You should also find tips for dealing with dual-layer discs. Apparently the simpliest solution is simply to split the contents of the discs so it'll reside on 2 or more discs.

There are other methods that'll allow you to stay with one disc but if your goal is to preserve the contents, you should just use as many discs as you have to.

Later blue-ray dvd will be available and you can transfer your current dvds to larger capacity ones.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Re: DVD X Copy.

breaking the encryption on a DVD is outlawed right now in the US, but DVD X Copy technically doesn't break the rules.

What it does do is capture the information after it has been decoded, but before it has been rendered on screen. Pretty ingenious really, and for anyone who is wondering yes there is legal action being taken against the software company that makes DVD X Copy despite the fact that they are not technically in violation of the rules.

--PB

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would like to thank everyone for there help, I can now backup my dvd's and protect my investments with ease. So thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions

1 - 15 of 15 Posts