Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after an unfortunate incident my Macbook HD failed.

Now I'm fully planning on using Super Duper to back up my HD on a regular basis. I have a 300gb external, and I was wondering what the best way to backup was.

Should I back up on to an image file, or should I format my external and create a separate partition specifically for back-up purposes? If I create a separate partition, when Mac OS loads for the first time do I just "import from a partition" - then all my settings/apps etc. will be ready to go?

thanks for your help! at least I learned my lesson.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My backup strategy is the following:

1) Weekly backup: using SuperDuper! to back up my whole drive to a partition on an external FW drive. This way, in case my MBP is acting wierd and need a service, I can use my iMac to boot from the external partition and everything would be in its right place.

2) Daily backup: iCal, Address Book, Documents, Mail, etc. backed up using Synk to my network HDD. Deletion and modification of files are archived.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I feel your pain, brother. My Macbook's HD failed last month and I lost some important university stuff on it. Since I've learned my lesson, I use superduper! and have it make an image file of my internal HD on my external HD. I don't use the option of formatting the drive before executing the backup. Also, you need to make sure that you format the HD in HFS+ with journaling enabled if you want your HD copies to be bootable.

FAT32 (a common format for an external storage device) doesn't support files bigger than 4 gigs anyway, so you'll need to format unless your HD has less than 4 gigs on it (unlikely).

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel your pain, brother. My Macbook's HD failed last month and I lost some important university stuff on it. Since I've learned my lesson, I use superduper! and have it make an image file of my internal HD on my external HD. I don't use the option of formatting the drive before executing the backup. Also, you need to make sure that you format the HD in HFS+ with journaling enabled if you want your HD copies to be bootable.

FAT32 (a common format for an external storage device) doesn't support files bigger than 4 gigs anyway, so you'll need to format unless your HD has less than 4 gigs on it (unlikely).
So say my HD crashes again, how do I bring back all my settings using the .sparseimage file?

G

·
So say my HD crashes again, how do I bring back all my settings using the .sparseimage file?
That's trickier if you don't have bootable media that will allow you to run applications. ... the install DVD doesn't let you (easily) do this.

I'd recommend making a partition on your external if you can and doing your backup to it. That way if you go down you can easily boot from that partition and run SuperDuper to restore from that partition back to your interal drive.

Also, a good buddy of mine, the author of all the SubrosaSoft disk utilities and also DiskGenius tells me that sparseimages are evil and not to be trusted. They work, most times .. but they are very fragile and one bad file can mean the end of your backup image (mostly non-recoverable due to the way sparseimages work).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts