Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I get back from being on the road and put my MBP back on the desk, plug my ext and hit BACK UP NOW.

Come back a few mins later to find an ! in my time machine status menu.

Look around and see nothing out of the ordinary. Try again, and again. Nothing. So I snoop around. Read this document about WDs not waking from sleep ? But I was able to use itunes and play tracks as my songs are on it as well. But the b/u is not working.

For clarity, I have a WD ext 1.5G.

Saw a few multi stepped solutions but wondered if anyone out here had some wisdom to pass on as this is pretty annoying. This was the 1st time that I actually unplugged this WD since I bought it/1st plugged it.

Major bummer.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Restart the machine and try again.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've reselected the volume in the TM prefs and now it's backing up like it was a new volume ie creating a whole be b/u folder - i'm assuming. so I suppose I'll go back and DEL all the old ones (i'm fine w/ that). At least it's working. But now i'm just concerned that every time I disconnect for any period of time i'll have to do this. #brutal.

any Western Digital Elements users w/ sim issues?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Beware of deleting TM folders the normal way. They contain a gazillion files and can cause problems like the trash never wanting to empty.

G

·
Ahh good old (un)reliable Time Machine. I see problems with it constantly. Sometimes it works and when it does it's fine, but when it goes off the rails it can get messy fast. A big problem with it is also that it doesn't really give you much in the way of feedback when it does fail. Lion has changed that a bit, now you get a bit more feedback, but for lots of newbie users they don't pay attention to that one dialog that tells them that time machine failed and needs their attention ... and they just click ok and happily forget that it ever happened ... until their main drive dies and they then find out that they haven't actually had a backup for months and lost a bunch of their data.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts