Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

OK, so I am backing up my MBP. Instead of using "Time Machine" to back up, I am going to drag and drop. The reason for that is because I do not want to format my external drive to whatever format it wants it to be due to the current files that I have on my external drive.

So, here's what I have done. I just took the name or identity folder and dragged it into my external drive.

For example; "Joseph" is my computer ID folder, i took that folder and dragged it. I also noticed that "music", "pictures" are all in that folder as well.

What else do I need to do?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing else you need to do. Keep in mind your backup isn't bootable, nor valid to use with Migration Assistant should you choose to transfer that backup data to a new machine.
So basically I would need to drag/drop on the new machine to restore?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Your probably not going to get a user friendly drag and drop restore.
You could make an iso of you disk, but it's not going to be as convenient as you'd like.

I'd stick with what you've already done (and possibly add you application folder), or get another disk so you could use time machine. Thats going to be your easiest most convenient backup (and way to restore if needed).

To use what you have, could could transfer the files from you external to your laptop (if you have the space), format it so you can use time machine (won't be windows readable), then transfer your files back and set it up as a time machine disk.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
geee, cant's imagine why you wouldn't want to partition the drive and use something like the free version of superduper... much less screwing around and you'd have a bootable backup which includes all your preferences/settings.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
geee, cant's imagine why you wouldn't want to partition the drive and use something like the free version of superduper... much less screwing around and you'd have a bootable backup which includes all your preferences/settings.
Not sure how I would do that?

I have my external hard drive plugged now, and when I go to back up with time machine. It asks me to format the drive, but I don't want to do that cause I already have some stuff on the drive.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
not sure why you couldn't move the info on the HD onto your laptop (or burn the files to discs), format the HD with a partition, put the info back onto the HD and then do a timemachine or superduper backup? you can certainly do what you're doing but there's no way to say 100% that you're not going to have a problem with something down the road. it may not be a big issue, but then again, there's no way to say for sure (i don't think!). personally, i wouldn't risk it...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not sure why you couldn't move the info on the HD onto your laptop (or burn the files to discs), format the HD with a partition, put the info back onto the HD and then do a timemachine or superduper backup? you can certainly do what you're doing but there's no way to say 100% that you're not going to have a problem with something down the road. it may not be a big issue, but then again, there's no way to say for sure (i don't think!). personally, i wouldn't risk it...
The important files on my computer are the following; documents, photos, and vids. So as long as I can save these, I can always re-install the apps that I have on my current mac onto my new MBP. So a drag-n-drop is still fine, right? just takes a longer time?

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
I don't know why you're not getting direct answers to your questions, but here's the straight dope in plain English:

1. You *can* back up your user/"home" folder (and ONLY your user folder) via drag-and-drop if you want to.

2. Dragging and dropping apps or system components WILL NOT work in a restore scenario. Long story short, UNIX isn't OS 9 and there's a ton of invisible stuff and "soft links" that will break or won't copy using drag-and-drop.

3. SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner are a better solution to your problem. Have them make a clone of your entire drive to a disk image if you can't be bothered to re-partition. You can click on the URLs to learn more about these programs.

4. Good on you for being concerned about protecting your data!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.