Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't recall if it was one of these excellent gentlemen--Patrick, MacDoc, MacFury--who told me a bootable clone.

'Kay, I've finally cleared a disk for the purpose and I have a few questions:

1) CCC or SD!?

2) Does CCC &/or SD! rebuild cumulative backups when you tell it to? I.e., add your new stuff.

3) I have a 1TB Mac. Is 2.5TB enough space on the backup disk. I'm using a 5TB external, half for clone, half for Time Machine.

Does this sound good? TIA!

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
'Kay, I've finally cleared a disk for the purpose and I have a few questions:
Does this sound good? TIA!
I'm partial to CCC, mainly because I have always used it and it appeared well before SD!, but it seems that super duper has caught up, but with the latest changes Apple has made, your backup and whether it is a bootable clone or not will depend on the mac and the operating system version it is using.

Also if you happen to be running one of the latest Apple M1 Macs, CCC and SD! are both in the process of trying to create a bootable clone that could be used with such machines.

Mac-forums.com and some other mac related sites has some recent discussions if you wanted to have a look see there as to what is happening.

As for your questions numbers 2 and 3, I would say the answer is yes.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
16,117 Posts
Thanks, Patrick.
There's a fairly recent summary discussion regarding recent macOS versions and some Mac models on recent backup and cloning methods which you could read here:

Or join the mac-forums/com group and/or others and help keep up-to-date.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Patrick. I'll check it out.

Unless my 2015 MBP dies irreparably, I won't be buying a new Mac, so sticking with 10.13.6

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CCC worked a peach, Patrick. Have not tried to see if it's bootable & don't care much. But, all in all, aster than TM onto a blank disk. Bet somebody here will tell me I shouldn't have both backups on the same external, eh!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I have recently used CCC and Time machine as a back up as i recently had a SSD disk failure and the fact that i know Murphy's Law way to well? my time machine hard drive also failed at the same time. i Have now CCC installed on my mac pro with another SSD disk of about the same capacity to clone my main drive also a SSD on Schedule. it took about 1/2 a day to put all my apps and games back to where it was before the drive died on me.
Rectangle Font Software Slope Technology

Reactions: unblocktheplanet
1 - 7 of 7 Posts