Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i have a b/w rev. b g3/500 and i loaded os x on a spare hard drive that was blank and it works fine
you do need the os X CDs
make sure you get 10.2.x (jaguar)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Prob. just pc sellers.
Mine works fine with all versions of X (beta to Jag and server)
Reminds me of my dumb days.I went into one of those used pc shops looking for a monitor for my 6200cd and asked if they had any Mac compatible monitors.(I was young and just learning this stuff ok!)The clerk just looked at me odd and said only an Apple monitor will work.....sigh.
I should go back and slap him like I slapped myself when I learned the reality of things.

·
Premium Member
30,885 Posts
Sputnik - don't speculate as the note was doing the buyer a favor.
Apple in it's wisdom, and causing much outrage, blocked the use of G4 processors in B&W.
When you upgrade Blues from 8.6 to OS9 it required a firmware upgrade - this firmware upgrade also blocked the use of G4s chips. :mad:
So third party firmware was required to change it again so that OS9 AND a G4 upgrade could work

We have a couple of drives dedicated for that sequence. Knowing it was required would save us and anyone else a lot of head scratching about what the problem was as the earlier machines will boot the OS9 disc but not an OS9 drive until the Firmware was done.

Now ask me about burners zips and Blues
:mad: :mad:

Apple promised going PCI and IDE would allow access to all the low cost PC stuff - welll only sort of - it's revision and firmware nightmare which is why many resellers avoid it like the plague.

See the real message was the design changes would allow APPLE to use the low cost components...and then charge Mac owners a lot for the privilege.
;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
691 Posts
It was just a wild guess as I've seen some funny things advertised on eBay.I was just offering a possible reason thats all.
But damn I'm happy I dont have this problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts