Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the difference between version 2.5 and version 3?

I don't use it that often, just going through my apps updating and noticed this new version..

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I don't mean to offend anyone... but seriously I didn't ask for someones opinion on Transmission, i'm already familiar with that program and have my own views of it. In fact I didn't ask anything to do with transmission, i'm have a hard time fathoming why there are 5 replies about transmission.

I simply asked what the difference between the two programs Azureus 2.5 and Azureus 3.0. Since there seems to be a distinction between the two.

Although thank you John Clay and WorldIRC for your input on Transmission I found it very informative and it will certainly help me decide on which program to be my default torrent program.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
'Azureus 3.0' (Vuze) is the latest, offering high def on-demand video.. not sure if there are videos for sale, or if it's all free content at this point. But the interface is dramatically different, and as far as I know is only for video. Basically just uses the bittorrent technology to speed up downloads.

http://www.vuze.com/Index.html

EDIT: ok, it's got a new interface (but clicking 'Advanced' brings you to the original look and feel) and you can browse/download a bunch of free videos, and from the looks of it can still use it to download all the other stuff still... kinda neat, but definitely beta...

G

·
Yep the biggest difference is the new interface. The core stuff in Az 3.0 is newer as well, but it doesnt give you any advantages over staying with 2.5, which is the "stable" version currently.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i know it's off topic, but i had to chime in :)

transmission is lovely and all, but it still doesn't have support for prioritizing files within a torrent (or selectively downloading them), and is still banned on a lot of private trackers (not transmission's fault, necessarily, but still a pain having to run 2 different clients depending on where i'm downloading from..). every now and then i install transmission and use it, because YES, it IS a really great simple client with a nicer interface and less of a memory hog... but i always wind up abandoning it and going back to azureus exclusively. i've seen this on a lot of boards - especially the first point - so hopefully sometime soon it'll be included.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
transmission is lovely and all, but it still doesn't have support for prioritizing files within a torrent (or selectively downloading them), and is still banned on a lot of private trackers (not transmission's fault, necessarily, but still a pain having to run 2 different clients depending on where i'm downloading from..). every now and then i install transmission and use it, because YES, it IS a really great simple client with a nicer interface and less of a memory hog... but i always wind up abandoning it and going back to azureus exclusively. i've seen this on a lot of boards - especially the first point - so hopefully sometime soon it'll be included.
I concur... Many times there is a torrent where I only want to download certain files from. You can't choose what you want to download with Transmission.

Anyways I just tried out Azureus version 3 and let me tell you they've turned it into an ugly convoluted mess...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Better?

Transmission is better, and requires no tweaking.
Odd comment. How is an entry level program with no access to advanced features better? If you can manage the Azureus wiki, you will find that you can achieve much faster upload and download speeds than other basic clients.
Azureus 3 has a new "basic" level interface for downloading movies, but if you click the advanced tab, you will get access back to all the tools.
For one, you can install plugins such as SafePeer that block thousands of "bad" IP's. Also, Azureus is the only client I believe that supports encryption that will help you deal with ISP throttling.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Odd comment. How is an entry level program with no access to advanced features better? If you can manage the Azureus wiki, you will find that you can achieve much faster upload and download speeds than other basic clients.
Azureus 3 has a new "basic" level interface for downloading movies, but if you click the advanced tab, you will get access back to all the tools.
For one, you can install plugins such as SafePeer that block thousands of "bad" IP's. Also, Azureus is the only client I believe that supports encryption that will help you deal with ISP throttling.
Transmission is not an 'entry level client' - it just works without lots of configuration. Many people value system performance and simplicity of design over features. That is the market that Transmission caters to. With about 12 active torrents, Transmission uses only about 4-7% CPU on my iBook G4.

Despite being a very lightweight client, Transmission offers some advanced features, such as Peer Exchange (PEX), which is compatible with both uTorrent and Azureus, as well as built-in UPnP/NAT support. Your bandwidth limits are set by your ISP and/or your hardware setup; Transmission, combined with a proper port forwarding setup, will max out most lines (with adequately seeded torrents).

The use of SafePeer is debatable, with some claiming it protects users. IMO, SafePeer is useless, as once you report to the tracker, your IP is distributed to other users, thus defeating the purpose of SafePeer.

MSE (Message Stream Encryption), or header obfuscation, commonly referred to (in reference to torrents) as "encryption", for libtransmission is in progress by another developer, and will probably be contributed to the Transmission Project.

All in all, I would say that Transmission is a better client on the whole. Of course, if you need certain features that aren't available yet (MSE and file selection), then Azureus is the next best.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I always enjoy it when someone comes on this board and patronizes me, while at the same time make statements of fact couched in opinion. I believe Azureus to be superior because it supports encryption which allows the user to defeat traffic shaping which in fact does increase download speeds. It is not an opinion.
Safe Peer does in fact do what it says it does and can prevent offending IP's from sending bad data repeatedly. A fact.

That your ISP and hardware control your bandwidth speeds is an incorrect statement.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Carl said:
I always enjoy it when someone comes on this board and patronizes me, while at the same time make statements of fact couched in opinion.
I didn't come to this board to patronize you - I've been here for a while now. To each his own, however.

Carl said:
I believe Azureus to be superior because it supports encryption which allows the user to defeat traffic shaping which in fact does increase download speeds. It is not an opinion.
It is true that encryption helps some users attain faster download speeds, but it is not needed for many users.
Carl said:
Safe Peer does in fact do what it says it does and can prevent offending IP's from sending bad data repeatedly. A fact.
For the record - Transmission automatically blocks peers that send bad data.

Carl said:
That your ISP and hardware control your bandwidth speeds is an incorrect statement.
Are you certain? If your ISP caps your download speeds at 100kb/s, they are controlling your bandwidth. If your modem doesn't support the speeds your connection is capable of, your bandwidth will suffer as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts