Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
I've actually been considering getting a Samsung Note. Not because I'm unhappy with my iPhone but because I'd like to do more portable sketching and the note has the S pen which uses wacom technology.

There are of course difficulties switching to android as first i'd have to root the device and then customize some settings to run the Sketchbook Pro tablet version. So a bit of a headache, but ultimately it would be a much better sketch device.

However the downside is the note is an awfully big device and might not even fit in certain pant pockets. Also I'd lose access to a ton of apps that I've downloaded over the last few years and that would be a bit of a bummer.

Right now I'm trying to convince myself to stay with the iPhone, but I'm finding it almost impossible to find a case that has a built in stylus. I can only find one and the stylus looks really poor. I'd even settle for a case where I can hold a stylus beside the iPhone, but i haven't seen anything acceptable yet...

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
I'm stuck in Mexico for the foreseeable future... and for reasons known only to the 2nd (or 3rd, depending on what day it is) richest man in the world - TelCel owner Carlos Slim - the key mobility service is no longer offering phones on contract. You buy a contract. Then you buy (or bring) a phone. Cheapest iPhone here is the iPhone 5 at $11,329 pesos ($895 CDN). They do have the iPhone 3GS ad iPhone 4 on their website, but there seems to be no way to buy it. Not exactly on the ball. Maybe they'll surprise me and put the iPhone 5S / 5c online sometime in the next few weeks - but I doubt it.

All of this to say that I'm looking for an alternative... Maybe the Samsung Galaxy or HTC One?

·
CIO of CYA
3,857 Posts
Right now I'm trying to convince myself to stay with the iPhone, but I'm finding it almost impossible to find a case that has a built in stylus. I can only find one and the stylus looks really poor. I'd even settle for a case where I can hold a stylus beside the iPhone, but i haven't seen anything acceptable yet...
Pogo Stylus

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
I'm very familiar with the Pogo stylus, but it doesn't fit the bill on the iPhone 5. The clip is only designed for the iPhone 4 and beyond that I want the stylus tip covered from pocket lint and well secured to the iphone so it won't become lost. Also the pogo clip offers virtually no protection for the actual iPhone.

So far the best case I've seen is this:

iPhone 5 Case with Built in Stand Stylus | eBay

But the stylus seems to be of very poor quality and most likely need to be replaced shortly after at the cost of a entirely new case.

I'm thinking of perhaps getting a wallet or flip style case and customizing a small pocket where the stylus could be held. But I still haven't seen a case that would fit the bill and have space to hold the stylus inside the flap

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
If Pogo is what people think of when they hear the word stylus, that explains a lot about why we still haven't seen a proper stylus enabled Apple tablet. You need a very fine point, and adjustable pressure sensitivity.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Before you switch to android, please check out Procreate® Sketch, paint, create.

I'm not an artist, but I've been using Procreate for a couple of years and can attest to the responsiveness of the development team and the quality of work that is being done by some very talented artists some of whom have abandoned their desktops and Cintiqs in favor of iPads and Procreate. Many use mini iPads.

Here's the link to the forum where they talk a lot about styluses. Procreate works well with some (most) of the pressure sensitive styluses.

Procreate forums - Index

I'm not connected to these folks, but I wish I was. It's an amazing app.

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
Before you switch to android, please check out Procreate® Sketch, paint, create.

I'm not an artist, but I've been using Procreate for a couple of years and can attest to the responsiveness of the development team and the quality of work that is being done by some very talented artists some of whom have abandoned their desktops and Cintiqs in favor of iPads and Procreate. Many use mini iPads.

Here's the link to the forum where they talk a lot about styluses. Procreate works well with some (most) of the pressure sensitive styluses.

Procreate forums - Index

I'm not connected to these folks, but I wish I was. It's an amazing app.
Thanks for this winwintoo. I am going to buy this for my wife's iPad as soon as I get home. It looks terrific.

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
Warning: be prepared to assume all household, child care, and social responsibilities. You can't change diapers while drawing on your iPad. :D:Dbeejacon
I already do most of the housework and household chores and we have no kids just dogs (which we share responsibility for) so nothing is going to change much... except for the amount of time that we get to have with the iPad... even though it is her's I paid for it so I should get some time with it in my estimation. ;) beejacon

Probably I will have to buy my own iPad as well just to keep the peace. ;)

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm stuck in Mexico for the foreseeable future...

All of this to say that I'm looking for an alternative... Maybe the Samsung Galaxy or HTC One?
I might suggest the Nexus 4. For the price, unlocked, there is no better phone. It is my travel phone, and has worked with SIM cards all over Europe, Africa and USA.

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Man I'm so sick of these platform comparisons and the comment wars they ensue!
Why can't everybody just use whatever phone they fancy and get their noses out of the next persons business?

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
Looks like a lot of people are definitely not switching to Android this weekend. The gold iPhone 5S has become the new Holy Grail.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts