Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into renewing my car insurance with someone new with a better rate and this company Aviva came up with an amazing price. I looked into this further and they explained they would install a device into our cars that tracks the way we drive.

Call me crazy but I wasn't ready to sign on for this, I don't really subscribe to the "big brother" conspiracy theories, but I thought this was going a little too far. I think 10 years no accidents should be enough for them to give me their best rate.

Just wondering if anyone here has signed on for this yet?

More info: Car Insurance: Aviva Canada "Autograph" Program Enables Drivers to Align Driving Habits with Lower Auto Insurance Premiums

·
Honourable Citizen?
4,853 Posts
I've been looking into renewing my car insurance with someone new with a better rate and this company Aviva came up with an amazing price. I looked into this further and they explained they would install a device into our cars that tracks the way we drive.

Call me crazy but I wasn't ready to sign on for this, I don't really subscribe to the "big brother" conspiracy theories, but I thought this was going a little too far. I think 10 years no accidents should be enough for them to give me their best rate.

Just wondering if anyone here has signed on for this yet?

More info: Car Insurance: Aviva Canada "Autograph" Program Enables Drivers to Align Driving Habits with Lower Auto Insurance Premiums
I'm not sure how this is "big brother". The article says that the customer only shares the information when and if they choose to. I like the idea of auto insurance being based on how much you drive. I drive less than 25% of a typical average mileage yet I still pay the same rate as someone who drives 10 times what I do. They are obviously at more risk to get in an accident than I am.

As to how this company factors in speed, it's not clear from their info. The device can record the vehicle's speed, but how does it know if the driver is speeding, unless it also includes a GPS reading?

I think this is a good idea, although I also think insurers could immediately implement insurance based on mileage without all the high tech by simply requiring odometer readings.

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The agent told me on the phone it tracks your speed (you cannot go over 125kmh) and breaking/driving habits. Which is fine, I don't speed, but it doesn't know the context of your short stop, or sharp swerve, which in the end might be held against you. I already think insurance is a scam, last thing I need is them watching how I drive, where I drive and how fast it took to get there. Possibly even giving them another reason to increase my premiums.

But of course it could work the other way, that is why I thought I'd see if anyone has signed on yet.

·
Honourable Citizen?
4,853 Posts
The agent told me on the phone it tracks your speed (you cannot go over 125kmh) and breaking/driving habits. Which is fine, I don't speed, but it doesn't know the context of your short stop, or sharp swerve, which in the end might be held against you. I already think insurance is a scam, last thing I need is them watching how I drive, where I drive and how fast it took to get there. Possibly even giving them another reason to increase my premiums.

But of course it could work the other way, that is why I thought I'd see if anyone has signed on yet.
Does it know where you drive? In other words is there a GPS component in this?

I know that based on my mileage, speed, braking and acceleration habits, I would be going less distance than average, going slower than most, breaking easier and accelerating slower, so I would get cheaper insurance. I'd be fine with this, although if it actually tracked location I wouldn't like that. But does it track location?

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure, but if it goes that in depth on a drivers habits, why not location? If you drive on busy accident prone highways every day shouldn't you pay more than someone who doesn't?

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Stay away from Aviva there rates might look good but in the long run they will screw you if you ever have to make a huge claim my dad has been waiting for 3 years now for them to pay out on his auto injury claim and has turned to the courts to solve this problem. My dad has been 3 years without employment 3 years of paying the mortgage from his life savings do yourself a favour and stay away from Aviva pay more somewhere else with a better reputation and in the long run hopefully you won't have to make a claim but if you do rest assured you're not being screwed by Aviva.

Laterz :)

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
You can make of it what you will, but essentially you are just agreeing to share information with them in order to lower your rates. I'm sure you know whether your habits are likely to lower your premiums or not.

As far as data logging, all modern cars do that now. When you have an accident, everything that is logged by the car's computer in order to manage the system, from the accelerator position, your speed, braking times, steering inputs, etc are all available for investigators to read and use (typically the last 30 seconds before impact is recorded; new data continuously rewrites data 30 seconds old. With the price of memory these days, I expect 2 or more minutes is hardly out of the question now or soon with new cars).

If you have OnStar, the GPS information is also available to coordinate with the telemetry from the car, although a warrant might be necessary to get OnStar to cough it up (won't be much of a barrier if the investigators feel there are grounds, trust me).

OnStar can also be enabled remotely; there has already been more than one example of law enforcement re-enabling an OnStar account that has expired in order to track a suspect.

The paranoid can remove the GPS antennae and the system will still function normally (ie it won't make your car quit working).

Big Brother might be watching, and I certainly would not want to encourage such behaviour, but if it saves you money you have to weigh both sides. I don't think you are likely to be under any more risk of scrutiny if something should happen than you already are (cameras record license plates, your car's computer records what you do when you drive; cellphones track towers and therefore can pinpoint your general location with time stamps, etc).

Even if your car is more than 15 years old, in which case the computer might not store pre-accident data, we are all subject to plenty of observation and tracking. If you're a safe driver, it could save your ass in court, to boot.

Personally, I'm against such things, and would probably decline. But, it's your money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts