Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've downloaded flip4mac and I'm trying to no avail to get video files (avi, mpg etc.) to play in the Quicktime player rather than in my browser window. I've tried fiddling in the system preferences for Quicktime and flip4mac but can't seen to figure it out.

I'm running the latest version of OS X on a Macbook 2Ghz. Thanks.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually, I'm just interested in having my videos download onto my desktop and open in the Quicktime player. I had it working like that on my last mac configuration (before my HD failed).

I think it mught have to do with flip4mac. For some reason, the first option in the preferences for my f4m is greyed out.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i do believe

you need to set the preferences in safari to download the file instead of stream
I doubt its that. safari preferences has the general tab with options: default webbrowser, new windows open with (home page), home page, save downloaded files to, remove items from list (manually), open "safe" files after dowload, open links from applications.

then there's appearance with fonts, bookmarks, tabs, RSS, autofill, security and advanced which contains never use fonts smaller than, press tab to highlight each item, style sheet and proxies.

Please help.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Try this program:
Vince 1.0 – Mac OS X – VersionTracker

It will allow you to configure internet protocol helper apps. I haven't used it, but you should be able to modify the MOV protocol to launch in the Quicktime player rather than the plugin. You should be able to do this for any of the prptocols (like AVI, MPG, etc).

Try it out.

Trev

·
Premium Member
18,000 Posts
You can also use the "Activity Window" (Command-Option-A or from the Window Menu) to find the file in question, whether it's a .mov or even a Flash .flv file, and double-click to download. If you have QuickTime Pro installed, you can (sometimes) use the little fly-out menu on a movie to "Save As..." to your desktop.

M

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can also use the "Activity Window" (Command-Option-A or from the Window Menu) to find the file in question, whether it's a .mov or even a Flash .flv file, and double-click to download. If you have QuickTime Pro installed, you can (sometimes) use the little fly-out menu on a movie to "Save As..." to your desktop.

M
Thanks for the reply, I'll try that out.

The thing is, I had it configured perfectly before my HD failed and now I can't figure out how to play these darned embedded videos to play in Quicktime. I've never owned QT pro and I still got all my movie files on a single click of the link to automatically open in Quicktime. I'm sure something is up with my pluggins, the first option in my flip4mac preferences is grayed out and is not supposed to be.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try this program:
Vince 1.0 – Mac OS X – VersionTracker

It will allow you to configure internet protocol helper apps. I haven't used it, but you should be able to modify the MOV protocol to launch in the Quicktime player rather than the plugin. You should be able to do this for any of the prptocols (like AVI, MPG, etc).

Try it out.

Trev
I'm trying to use Vince and not having any success. I just get a blank line that asks me to enter the protocol. I'm not getting to the application part of this program. What do you need to put in the line to make this work?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't seem to find the correct name for a protocol. I've tried avi .avi *.avi and these aren't recognized. It seems to me that these are just file types and not protocols. What's an example of a video protocol?

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
actually, I'm just interested in having my videos download onto my desktop and open in the Quicktime player. I had it working like that on my last mac configuration (before my HD failed).

I think it mught have to do with flip4mac. For some reason, the first option in the preferences for my f4m is greyed out.

Option click the movie and it will download to your HD no?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Sorry for recommending Vince. That program is truly awful. I didn't have a chance to use it before recommending it, so yeah, ignore that program.

It looks like your Flip4Mac prefs are set properly (the first checkbox is supposed to be greyed out. Mine is, too. However, be advised that Flip4Mac will only play .WMV, .ASF, or .AVI files that actually use the Windows Media codec. .AVI is just a container format and can contain any number of codecs. .AVI is commonly used for DivX files, for example. So, if Flip4Mac wont play the .AVI its probably a DIvX file or something other than windows media.

Do you have an example URL of a movie you want to play in Quicktime? Post it so we can have a look.

Trev

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for recommending Vince. That program is truly awful. I didn't have a chance to use it before recommending it, so yeah, ignore that program.

It looks like your Flip4Mac prefs are set properly (the first checkbox is supposed to be greyed out. Mine is, too. However, be advised that Flip4Mac will only play .WMV, .ASF, or .AVI files that actually use the Windows Media codec. .AVI is just a container format and can contain any number of codecs. .AVI is commonly used for DivX files, for example. So, if Flip4Mac wont play the .AVI its probably a DIvX file or something other than windows media.

Do you have an example URL of a movie you want to play in Quicktime? Post it so we can have a look.

Trev
Actually, all my *.WMV movies are opening in Quicktime player, via flip4mac. It's the *.mpg and the *.avi movies that are embedded in my browser. I'm looking for a movie URL to post right now.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Actually, all my *.WMV movies are opening in Quicktime player, via flip4mac. It's the *.mpg and the *.avi movies that are embedded in my browser. I'm looking for a movie URL to post right now.
AVIs and MPG files aren't handled by Flip4Mac, that's why they aren't opening in Quicktime Player. Unfortunately, QuickTime does not have any feature to do what you want, so you have to do it manually. Here's how:

Get the URL of the movie file you want to watch. This has to be the URL to the actual video file, not a web page that the movie is embedded in. Open QuickTime Player and choose "File-->Open URL..." and paste the URL of the movie into the dialog box that opens up and click "OK". Alternatively, you can save the embedded QuickTime movie you want to watch using the little menu in the bottom right hand corner of the movie controls, then open the movie in QuickTime Player by double-clicking it in the Finder. Sometimes getting the movie's URL can be tricky, because it's embedded in a web page. You can use the Safari "View-->View Source" option to view the page's source code and search for common movie extensions like .mov, .mp4 and .avi. Movies are usually embedded using the <embed> or <object> tags, so you can also try looking for those and seeing if you can find the movie's URL between those html tags.

Hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess for now I'll settle with what someone recommended earlier, option click and then opening the file from my desktop. It's not that much of a hassle when you use the F11 reveal desktop function.

Thanks for your help/input/suggestions everyone!

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
HI Pat. You are on the right track with the QuickTime Preferences screenshot you posted.

Launch QuickTime Player (the standalone application), and go to QuickTime Player: Preferences: and select the General tab.
Movies: Open Movies in New Players should be checked.
I prefer to have "Automatically play movies when opened" and "Show content guide automatically" unchecked. Close the preferences window.

Go to: QuickTime Player: QuickTime Preferences: Browser tab (this is also accessible from System Preferences; and in the lower right arrow in a QuickTime movie in your browser window; they're all the same preferences window) and deselect "Play movies automatically". It might help to save movies in the disk cache, but 100 MB (the minimum) is plenty of space for online movies.

Go to: QuickTime Player: QuickTime Preferences: Streaming tab and uncheck "Enable Instant On", if you like. I find it makes it easier when movies are on the desktop instead of the browser to cycle through applications (Command-Tab) and windows (Command-Tilde which is the key with ` and ~ on it) and then hit the space bar (Play/Pause in QuickTime) to play movies. That prevents them from playing while hidden by your browser window as soon as they begin to stream.

In the Flip4Mac plugin Preferences (if you have QuickTime Player: QuickTime Preferences still open, select "Show All" at top left and go to the Flip4Mac Preference Pane: Plug-in tab) and select "Launch QuickTime Player". Go to the Movie tab and either select or deselect "Play movies automatically" to match what you chose before at: "Enable Instant On".

I'm not sure about "Create Streaming Movies"; I don't remember seeing that before and you may want to play with it to see what works best when you prefer to save movies instead of play them. I find deselecting Instant On/Play Automatically allows them to download fine, but I have never tried it any other way. "Open AVI files" should be checked.

Quit your browser and QuickTime/Flip4Mac if they are running, and you should be good to go. Movies will download to the desktop most of the time (AVI and WMV will all the time; but QuickTime and Flash can be set to stay in browser window and force use of the Plugin). For those cases, you can try using the Activity window to find the file, as someone suggested earlier.

Once on the desktop, and fully downloaded or streamed, you can save them from the File: Save menu in QuickTime player.

" ... Alternatively, you can save the embedded QuickTime movie you want to watch using the little menu in the bottom right hand corner of the movie controls ..."

I believe that is a QuickTime Pro feature only.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts