Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to organize movie clips from my DV camcorder in iPhoto. Most are just short movies of my kids and I prefer to catalogue them along with my stills by date and time. But the workflow is time consuming with 30-40 clips per DV tape:

1) download tape to iMovie
2) export from iMovie each clip individually
3) rename resulting .mov files
4) import to iPhoto
5) manually adjust date and time of each clip

Is there a way to automate this? iMovie does not appear to support Applescript or Automator actions but Quicktime does. I need iMovie only to automatically generate the individual clips. Can Quicktime automatically create clips from a DV stream so I can bypass iMovie completely? Is there a way to preserve the time/date stamp in saved clips?

Thanks for any suggestions.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pulling the individual clips out of the package actually helps quite a bit, because one the most time-consuming parts of the process is individually exporting/compressing clips from iMovie.

This way I can batch compress the clips with a script or automator action using Quicktime alone. At least I can do that part unattended and leave it to crunch overnight, then rename and set time/date manually.

Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.