Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to organize movie clips from my DV camcorder in iPhoto. Most are just short movies of my kids and I prefer to catalogue them along with my stills by date and time. But the workflow is time consuming with 30-40 clips per DV tape:

1) download tape to iMovie
2) export from iMovie each clip individually
3) rename resulting .mov files
4) import to iPhoto
5) manually adjust date and time of each clip

Is there a way to automate this? iMovie does not appear to support Applescript or Automator actions but Quicktime does. I need iMovie only to automatically generate the individual clips. Can Quicktime automatically create clips from a DV stream so I can bypass iMovie completely? Is there a way to preserve the time/date stamp in saved clips?

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
So, Step 2 is NOT editing the movie?

This program, called BTV, MIGHT do the trick. Dig into it's feature set and see:

BTV

G

·
If you have Final Cut Express or Pro available, there's a feature in it to detect the clips in a continuos capture (every time you've hit the record button). It doesn't automatically split them for you, but it does put in markers at each spot. Not sure how much effort this will save you, but at least you can do one big capture per tape and have a visual guide as to where to chop it up :)

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
If you have Final Cut Express or Pro available, there's a feature in it to detect the clips in a continuos capture (every time you've hit the record button). It doesn't automatically split them for you, but it does put in markers at each spot. Not sure how much effort this will save you, but at least you can do one big capture per tape and have a visual guide as to where to chop it up :)
iMovie can also do this, making each start/stop a separate clip. You'd still have to dive into the iMovie project to export the clips... or do you??? ;)

If the OP wants to use iMovie, setting the preferences of iMovie to make each record stop/start a separate video clip, then the person can quit iMovie after the import, saving the iMovie project in the process. Then, find the iMovie project on the hard drive and Control-Click to bring up the contextual menu. If the "Show Package Contents" command is used, then the iMovie project and all its elements will open up like a Finder folder. Open up the "Media" folder and in side will be the capture clips. One can then pull those clips OUT of the iMovie project and into a normal Finder folder. The clips will be generically names "Clip 01", "Clip 02", etc. but can be renamed either there in the Finder or once they're all dropped into an iDVD project.

For any complex file renaming procedures, one can use a program such as File Buddy for bulk, sequential file renaming and more.

As for preserving date/time stamps of movies, I don't know if either digital video cameras do this (linear time-code FOR SURE, however) or whether or not iMovie takes note of them upon importing.

Bear in mind as well that, as iMovie is incapable of downresing footage upon capture, these videos will be full DV resolution and therefore possibly BIG. BTW, the program I suggested earlier, has adjustable capture resolution settings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pulling the individual clips out of the package actually helps quite a bit, because one the most time-consuming parts of the process is individually exporting/compressing clips from iMovie.

This way I can batch compress the clips with a script or automator action using Quicktime alone. At least I can do that part unattended and leave it to crunch overnight, then rename and set time/date manually.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts