Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this would be the closest most appropriate forum...

Anyone using an August Smart Lock Pro? (home kit enabled second generation)?

Been toying around with the idea of picking one up but not sure.
Pro's/Con's/annoyances/etc

Dabbling more in the centralized SmartHome stuff (with Homekit).

I've been using various timers, remote outlet switches (WiFi and/or RF) ones for years but consolidating into the Homekit and expanding my the ecosystem.

As for Homekit as a whole, switches are working fine, using an iPad as a hub which is working fine for Automations.

BReligion

·
Premium Member
15,684 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I guess this would be the closest most appropriate forum...

Anyone using an August Smart Lock Pro? (home kit enabled second generation)?

Been toying around with the idea of picking one up but not sure.
Pro's/Con's/annoyances/etc

Dabbling more in the centralized SmartHome stuff (with Homekit).

I've been using various timers, remote outlet switches (WiFi and/or RF) ones for years but consolidating into the Homekit and expanding my the ecosystem.

As for Homekit as a whole, switches are working fine, using an iPad as a hub which is working fine for Automations.

BReligion
Don't have one personally, my cousin does. To paraphrase, it's great when it works, which is half the time. Mind you that could be down to his particular configuration, but the ratings on amazon seem to show similar behavior with some users.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't have one personally, my cousin does. To paraphrase, it's great when it works, which is half the time. Mind you that could be down to his particular configuration, but the ratings on amazon seem to show similar behavior with some users.
Yeah, I've found the same when reading Amazon reviews (and some other review sites) so that's why I was checking here.

I think home network setup would have a lot to do with it.

A few of the reviews said there were issues if your Apple TV was out of bluetooth range of the lock.. well, My iPad (acting as the hub) is almost always (95%) on the samefloor and within Bluetooth range of the front door.

BReligion

·
Premium Member
15,684 Posts
Yeah, I've found the same
If you have a good local locksmith as we do, ask them what they think about such locks.

If they are anything like ours, be prepared for a blast and tirade as to how useless they are as far as a secure home lock goes, and especially considering their high prices.

PS: We had the old Weiser keypad deadbolts (no longer made or available here) installed a year or so ago. Not the newer "smart key" models which he says are almost a PoS by comparison but are supposedly being improved with later models which should be available now!!!

BTW: One of the best things we ever did. And yes, one has to push four buttons to unlock. Big deal!! One button push to lock.

And they don't auto-lock and lock us out of the house whenever we go outside as some of the "smart"(i.e.: DUMB) locks can do!!! :D :D

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If you have a good local locksmith as we do, ask them what they think about such locks.

If they are anything like ours, be prepared for a blast and tirade as to how useless they are as far as a secure home lock goes, and especially considering their high prices.

PS: We had the old Weiser keypad deadbolts (no longer made or available here) installed a year or so ago. Not the newer "smart key" models which he says are almost a PoS by comparison but are supposedly being improved with later models which should be available now!!!

BTW: One of the best things we ever did. And yes, one has to push four buttons to unlock. Big deal!! One button push to lock.

And they don't auto-lock and lock us out of the house whenever we go outside as some of the "smart"(i.e.: DUMB) locks can do!!! :D :D
The August Smart Lock is a retrofit of the thumb latch on your existing deadbolt. Ie it just replaces the knob inside the house. Same physical keys and access from exterior as before, same cylendars/quality of deadbolt as before, just now the ability to lock/unlock with your phone/presence (geofencing) and or remote access. There is also door sense that you can install so the August Lock can tell if the door is open closed... it looks like the same basic magnet idea as most security systems use.

BReligion

1 - 6 of 6 Posts