Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in a sticky situation detailed below. I need to find software that will increase the volume of audio in a video clip.

I captured audio from a sound board to a MiniDisc Walkman. I then used my PeeCee to record that information into a digital wav file. I then burned that wav file onto a CD to create an audio CD (huge track). I then ripped that CD into iTunes as uncompressed so that it would import into Final Cut Express. Everything worked (tedious procedure) but the volume level is extrememly low. I have to turn my speakers to the highest level just to hear the talking. I used FCE to raise the db to 12, but that's as high as it will go which isn't enough.

Can anyone recommend a program that will raise it even higher. I haven't noticed any distortion at it's current db level, and hope to get satisfactory results with third-party software.

Any suggested is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
While not being a perfect solution, you could simply keep resaving the file, but with each save up your volume. You will likely end up with odd audio artifacts if you have to do it too many times.

Aside from that, most any audio app will allow you to up the audio levels.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Short answer: any audio program that can do "normalization" is what you are looking for. Normalizing is when the program rewrites the file multiplying each sample by the factor that will result in a highest peak of 100%. There is a free program from TC Electronics called SpartkME that will do this and a few other things aswell.

Having said that, you still have the problem of low resolution. Applying normalization will also make the low resolution and noise of your recording more apparent. What you should do is re-record from the minidisc set to a higher output level. If you are using FCExpress, I assume you have a digital camera. So you can plug the headphone or line "out" from your MD into the "analog in" of the camera and capture your sound straight into FCExpress (disable "device control" and set it to capture audio only). some MDs let you adjust the line out level. if yours doesn't, use the headphone out and get some decent level happening!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a quick fix I used the suggestion to save the file, re-open, and then up the db another 10. It worked! Not the quickest or most efficient way, but definitely great for now.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. Your advice makes this message board a great resource.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Vacuvox is da man. "normalization" is what you want to do. The shareware app, "Sound Studio" does it, like Spark does.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
You should be able to streamline your process of getting that audio into FCP, too.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
You should be able to streamline your process of getting that audio into FCP, too.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to thank everyone for their input in my last few postings: "USB audio", "Audio Software".

I ended up buying an M-Audio Transit USB device which has Line-In/Out & Optical In/Out. It works great with my iMac. I also downloaded Spark-Me and have used its basic features to capture audio from my MiniDisc, which then imports into Final Cut Express.

I haven't tried this yet, but I think that I could even set the Line-In to be a "Voice Over" in FCE which would make the whole process even more simple.

FYI - I bought the M-Audio Transit at Summit Direct (St. Catharines) for $119.99

Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts