Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Is there a method or dongle that can be used to input audio into my MacBook from a tape recorder?
Maybe you can sort out the methods they are talking about from here:

If not try a Google search starting with this:

I gave up trying to figure out how from what I read, maybe you will have better luck.

One Apple article even talked about making your choice depending on your sound input preferences and depending on which of the three sound Import ports your Mac Book Pro might have. Really... Maybe it or they are camouflaged on yours. ;-)

Sorry... Apple doesn't seem to be very helpful in providing a proper answer for your question. At least not as far as I could find, but my mind is actually preoccupied transferring my iPad Pro 12.9" 1st generation model for my wife's use, which will replace her iPad Air 2 model.

No thanks to Apple for not making it any easier to do project I must say. In fact it was being a real PITA to finally get updated and completed.

I'm sorry I don't have a proper answer to your question.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
It's a physical limitation of not having an audio input, Patrick--not a matter of software settings.
I was thinking that perhaps that MBPro Model might be using a single port for multiple functions as Apple has done with some Mac models over the years.

I am very surprised if Apple I didn't allow for any audio input, especially in a MacBook Pro model, but why would I be surprised when they seem to do so many unexpected things, and lots of them lately.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
118 Posts
The go-to product used to be the iMic made by Griffin technology, but it has been discontinued.

But there are still products like:

Behninger U-Phono UFO202 ($25 on Amazon). This will convert the analog signal to digital and comes with the USB cord. It plugs into a USB port on your iMac.

https://tinyurl.com/yyqvgsy2

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
The go-to product used to be the iMic made by Griffin technology, but it has been discontinued.

At least they still seem to be available via eBay and many available under the $40 mark, ie:

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
9 Posts
Solution Found
Finally got my MacBook Pro M1 to recognize a “line-in”device. Got to record from my tape recorder using Audacity 3.2.1. Purchased “Plugable Audio Adapter” from Amazon. It has a 3.5mm stereo microphone input jack. My MacBook Pro M1 recognized it when plugged in. Had to go to my System Settings Sound to change the input to “Plugable Audio Device”. After lowering the input level got good recording.

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Finally got my MacBook Pro M1 to recognize a “line-in”device. Got to record from my tape recorder using Audacity 3.2.1. Purchased “Plugable Audio Adapter” from Amazon.

Congratulations, and well done on your success.

It's good to know there seems to be a reasonable cost solution and great that the Mac OS is able to treat it as an input signal.

Well done, even though I will probably never ever have or need to use a MacBook Pro M1, especially to receive and input signal via USB adapter.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
43,585 Posts
Solution Found
Finally got my MacBook Pro M1 to recognize a “line-in”device. Got to record from my tape recorder using Audacity 3.2.1. Purchased “Plugable Audio Adapter” from Amazon. It has a 3.5mm stereo microphone input jack. My MacBook Pro M1 recognized it when plugged in. Had to go to my System Settings Sound to change the input to “Plugable Audio Device”. After lowering the input level got good recording.
For those unfamiliar with the device, it's a USB dongle:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congratulations, and well done on your success.

It's good to know there seems to be a reasonable cost solution and great that the Mac OS is able to treat it as an input signal.

Well done, even though I will probably never ever have or need to use a MacBook Pro M1, especially to receive and input signal via USB adapter.

- Patrick
=======
The Plugable Audio Adapter has both Line-in and an audio jack.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts