Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a number of songs in .rm format which I would like to convert to MP3, or burn to audio format. How can I do this? Itunes won't import them.

Thanks,
JK

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
.rm are RealPlayer format files. Nothing to do with iTunes; RealNetworks traditionally didn't allow the format to be imported into iTunes.

If you go to RealNetwork's site, you could try RealPlayerSP, which can convert video formats. It might work for audio too.

They just moved it from beta to version 1 on Monday Feb 8 2010, so no-one knows really what it does yet, and I'm not going to be able to help because I'd rather stick pencils in my eyes than download RealPlayer onto any of my machines.

If that doesn't work, you have to do it the old way.

You will have to download a copy of RealPlayer to do it the old way, and you may need to find an older version (not the SP version).

Then use ffmpegx and some voodoo to convert the files.

You can get instructions here. It's not trivial, but it's not too bad.

The best solution is, in the future, do what 99% of Internet users do now, and that's "just say no to RealPlayer and RealAudio files".

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
If you don't mind a small amount of quality loss (hey, they're already RM files, how much worse could it get?), you could use something like Audio Hijack to re-record them into a useful format.

Of course, that's going to cost you $32. For that kind of money, it might be worth just buying them from the iTunes Store. At least then you'll be able to use them on other devices.

G

·
If you don't mind a small amount of quality loss (hey, they're already RM files, how much worse could it get?), you could use something like Audio Hijack to re-record them into a useful format.

Of course, that's going to cost you $32. For that kind of money, it might be worth just buying them from the iTunes Store. At least then you'll be able to use them on other devices.
Actually you'll get less audio loss recording them like this and saving to a non-lossy format (like AIFF) than you would converting them to another lossy format (i.e. mp3).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you

Thanks, everyone for your replies. Unfortunately, the songs are not on Itunes, and so far they are available only in Real Audio, unfortunately. Hence my problem. I have a number of them on very old vinyl, but they are quite scratchy, and originally in bad quality (these are Arabic songs from years back).

I will keep looking for a solution.

Cheers,
JK

·
Premium Member
11,953 Posts
I will keep looking for a solution.
We gave you a solution:

1. Buy Audio Hijack.
2. Use it to "Hijack" RealPlayer's output. Save in a lossless format (AIFF for example)
3. Play the songs in RealPlayer.

Now you have AIFF copies that are identical in quality to the RM songs.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
" ... Actually you'll get less audio loss recording them like this and saving to a non-lossy format (like AIFF) than you would converting them to another lossy format (i.e. mp3). ..."

Although I agree completely that re-encoding to AIFF (whether you do it via AudioHijack or any other method ... same thing; it's re-encoding ... ) will avoid any further loss in quality, the file sizes will be huge, compared to the originals. In my opinion he'd be better converting to a high bitrate AAC file (say, 320 kbs).

There won't be much degradation, and the file sizes will be in the few MB he's used to. AIFF's (or WAV's) are going to be perhaps 50 to 100 MB, or more if the song is longer than about 3 or 4 minutes. They don't care that the original was crap*; they'll faithfully reproduce the crap into a huge file.

The very best method would involve removing the re-encoding step in the digital realm. Play back in real time (D/A conversion) and record in real time (A/D conversion). That insures playback and recording at whatever quality can be supported in both cases, that the resulting file size is consistent with the encoding quality, and the lack of re-encoding in the digital domain eliminates compounding the lossy degradation. But, of course, not many people today would do that, especially once they figured out what "real-time" meant, since no-one has the patience, and few people would even know how.

* By "crap"; I'm referring to the format and audio quality, not the music itself. The tunes could be awesome, but that won't change the quality.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
you could use something like Audio Hijack to re-record them into a useful format... Of course, that's going to cost you $32
iirc the demo version of audio Hijack lets you do up t a ten minute "hijack" without hinderance. After that, it starts to impose white noise on the file. If the RM music is less than 10 minutes EACH, the OP could hijack a song, then quit/restart Hijack and RealPlayer for each song. Kludgy but workable and free.

I just checked Hijack's preferences and settings and it appears that Audio Hijack only create file AIFF. I don't think it does lossy formats. If used, one would have to hijack in AIFF and then convert the hijacked AIFF to MP3, AAC or whatever through iTunes or whatever. :ptptptptp

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
It's Audio Hijack PRO that offers options other than AIFF.
AH! I just bought the regular version. Thanks for the clarification.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts