Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I have been toying around with the idea of setting up a new website dedicated to the G5 product line for informational purposes.

Something along the ipodding.com and ipodlounge.com type of sites.

It would focus only G5 products (Xserve is next in line). My goal would be for it to become the defacto website for G5 owners to come for tips and tricks, hacks etc... not only for us Canadians but everyone world-wde.

However, I need some assistance with administration, forums moderation and the like. I need to brainstorm with a few others about the look, features etc...
I can provide the domain registration, site hosting and technical setup etc...

I'd also like to implement some advertizing revenue to keep costs down as well.

Any takers? Please post your interest here and we'll exchange emails and see if can get the ball rolling before the machines start shipping.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I'm heavily experienced in 'webmastering' and it sounds like a good idea. I can also do graphics, PHP/CGI work, setup any forum, server work, etc. List goes on. ;) Currently working on my own web site, InsideApple.com, but once Inside Apple is steadily on the go, I can help you out. E-mail me! [email protected]

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
I'd be more than pleased to put my 10-years of media skills, more than a decade of Mac skills, and my other less obvious talents to work on such an endeavour.

I assume a new G5 comes with the position?

:D
M

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, now that I see some interest lets hash out some ideas.

Yes, I'm aware of Mac OS X hints having helped them get started! However this new site's focus is different (not the UNIX side of things).

What I see happening is performance benchmarks, new software taking advantage of the G5, hardware improvements/hacks etc... as well as some focus on Panther.

I've already envisoned the website theme to reflect Panther's updated graphics.

I'm almost 100% sure we would use PHPNuke as a content management system since I'm extremely proficient in coding for it and there are tons of modules available for it. I'm also very effective in the creating custom themes for it.
We'll also be implemeting forums (perhaps not using the built-in forums in Nuke but using Vbulletin instead), an image gallery and whatever else we seem necessary.

Has anyone done any web banner ads before? I'm not sure who to appoach to advertise on the site or what rates to effect. This is not a priority but we need to subsidize the costs a little bit.

Let's get the ball rolling if you can commit. Any thoughts on a domain name? I was thinking of ppc970.com or G5info.com... Any others?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts