Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am about to apply for an Ontario assistive devices program grant to buy a new computer.
I had one about 6 years ago, and I can now apply again.
Has anyone else here gone through this process, I really want a new Mac and this may be the only way.
Last time I went through they were very anti Mac, but it comes down to individual choice and I know what I want.
Mark

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well it just so happens that my son qualifies for adaptive equipment for a vision disorder. He recived his assessments at the U. of Waterloo and we were given lots of information and details on programs he would need. Guess what? All Wintel. In fact, we were given a list of the approved vendors that we could choose from (several pages), and not one was a Mac reseller. Please keep in mind that my son is 6 and will be using the programs his school required so your case may be different. I am very sadly typing this on his 1.8ghz Wintel box (8 months old and only back to the shop once). If you are successful in obtaining anything Apple, please let me know, so I can hold out hope for our replacement.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vendor I went to in 1997 said he could get Apple equipment.
This place was Microcomputer Science centre in Mississauga.
They were not pro mac but they would have reluctantly ordered for me.
I dont know if they still will.
Frankly most school programs work fine in Virtual PC, I know this for a fact I use VPC 4 when I did viusual basic, offfice for pc, C++ and assember programming on vpc and it all worked just fine.
Also Macs have built in graphic zoom in Jaguar and voice recogniion.
Are you telling me that no vendor on the list will sell you Apple products?
Frankly this all I want a new Mac, not a PC.
This is just a crime, why does oiur government get in bed with Microsoft?
By the way all those text programs for PC sit on my shelf now, they were hundreds of dollars of Taxpayers money and the features are mostly built in to a mac.
It makes me fume...
Do you have a electronic copy of the vendor list you could email me?
[email protected]
mark

·
Registered
227 Posts
Sorry, but my wife tuned me in. Apparently, some of the places would have provided us with one if my son's "code" was appropriate. Essentially he was prescribed the system we now have. Despite my arguments to the contrary, (including VPC)the school, his vision teacher and the low vision clinic felt that the PC was the better solution at this time. As for the list of vendors affiliated with the ADP, we only got a hard copy. We dealt with David Ogilvie at the low vision clinic at the University of Waterloo. If you need a list, he is probably your source.
This really is a sore spot with me because, right now the only 2 programs my son had to have for grade 1 were ZoomText and Jaws. (apparently there are others yet to be decided on)As unimpressive as these programs are, Universal Access settings in X pretty much do the same job. Maybe I was a naive parent that just didn't push hard enough, but we had other battles to fight at the time.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zoomtext is a sham , dude!
They have a lot of balls charging hundreds of dollars for features built into the Mac and even mostly Windows features the same stuff built in.
I think that they have kickbacks from software salesmen that say"if you go with my product there's some cash in for you"
I have another Windows program called Visibility you can have, it is a text reading ware, that uses your scanner, I thought it was too tedious, but hey if you want my copy, give me an email.
You know, I have my appointment at the hamilton CNIB and they have a powermac sittting there that no one uses because they dont like em ,
To be honest most severely blind people would be better off in DOS or unix, Ive seen for myself how much trouble some blind or nearly blind folks have negotiating Windows with keystrokes, why don't they get a clue?
Something has to be done, and I wont let this go sitting down, I just keep getting more feisty about Mac descrimination
Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts