Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why is it that I cannot stream an asf file. trying to look at the ESPN TV Ads., and it mentioned that I had not the drivers needed. Understandable as I had a clean install done a week ago. So, now that it's installed, what gives? Still nothing. Become so used to watching mpegs. Holla... ;) Where did I mess up? Just went looking thru the helper files... nothing...

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
.asf is a Windows Streaming Media format. At a minimum, you need to get Windows Media Player for Macintosh from Microsoft.
While you're there, check to see if it lists asf compatibility.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just there... might have to go back. It must something little... I must be overlooking.... hold on.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just came back from M$ site. Nothing indicating that I can not watch it. Anyone out here with this challenge? Still think that I must have messed up somewhere (simple oversight) - not sure where though....

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
I dont know, I have had a lot of trouble playing ASF files in WMP for OS X. Strange, but it only seems to support the newer WMA and WMV formats. The older version of WMP that runs in 9 handles them alright though (if you can find it).

--PB

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PosterBoy:
I dont know, I have had a lot of trouble playing ASF files in WMP for OS X. Strange, but it only seems to support the newer WMA and WMV formats. The older version of WMP that runs in 9 handles them alright though (if you can find it).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've watched. asf files in WMP on MacOS X - just download the link to your desktop and double click it there if you can, otherwise, try looking at it in IE. It doesn't work too well in other browsers.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not sure what is happening. Too bad,,, I like ESPN Ads. Hella funny!

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Okay, here's the deal.

It's in Windows Media 9 format, which isn't supported on the Mac player.

I fired up the Win98 box and checked it out. If it makes you feel any better, I had to download 2 codecs and an upgrade to Windows Media Player from Microsoft before it would play. And after that, the thing stuttered and audio sucked. You're not missing much.

On the Mac, Windows Media played the sound perfectly, but no video. Running it inside IE had the same results.

Can't say I'm suprised, I found ESPN's site near useless during the NFL season too. And it's full of pop-behind ads to boot.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool. Thanks Gord. Figured as much dude...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts