Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I suspect this may well cause some significant competition of rates amongst providers.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
92 views and one reply?????

WTF???

Given all the whining and bitching over cellphone rates seen here on ehMac over the years I thought ehMacers would be all over this news item.

Turns out, when it really comes down to it, nobody gives a sh*t.........

:confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
92 views and one reply?????

WTF???

Given all the whining and bitching over cellphone rates seen here on ehMac over the years I thought ehMacers would be all over this news item.

Turns out, when it really comes down to it, nobody gives a sh*t.........

:confused: :confused:
Mandatory unlocking doesn't solve any problems. You could unlock any phone before, if the carrier loan was paid off or if you unlocked it elsewhere. There's still no incentive for the 2 networks (Bell/Telus and Rogers/Fido) to compete. Freedom's coverage is so pathetic that it's barely a footnote.

All this does is save $20-$50 in unlocking fees.

·
Premium Member
15,708 Posts
A lot of people do care about the $20-$50 fees for unlocking.

Mandatory unlocking doesn't solve any problems. You could unlock any phone before, if the carrier loan was paid off or if you unlocked it elsewhere. There's still no incentive for the 2 networks (Bell/Telus and Rogers/Fido) to compete. Freedom's coverage is so pathetic that it's barely a footnote.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I'll have to differ in my opinion. Unlocking gives flexibility, to choose between providers, if only between the'big two'. Freedom is not the only alternative, and one of the smaller players may choose to take a run at all the potentially unlocked phones. Unlocking is especially germain to travellers, particularly for extended travel.

At worst it is a ***** in the stranglehold of Bell/Rogers........

As Dr.G is fond of saying, "We shall see".

·
Premium Member
15,679 Posts
Unfortunately we couldn't wait a month and a bit to unlock a used/locked Bell Mobility iPhone 6S and cost us $50.00 to be able to use it with my wife's existing 7-11 Speakout plan she already had.

At least that specific cost has disappeared for those who might need or want it, or can use it. But I'm not sure if her iPhone is completely unlocked now or not, if she did want to change for some odd reason. How does one tell???

·
Premium Member
15,679 Posts
@rgray

Thanks gray, but as I recall I checked that article, and some others, when we received the iPhone but none of the suggestions actually worked or gave any real accurate info, including using its emi ?? code and checking with some web unlocker checking sites.

Getting it unlocked via Bell Mobility was quite a time consuming process and a real PITA and had to use my son in Whitehorse as a current Bell user with a three way phone conversation.

I hope the new unlocking method works better for those who might need it.

They also seem to treat all such cellphones as being stollen which is hard to prove otherwise when the previous client/owner is somewhere in the outback boonies somewhere in Yukon or beyond!!! :(

·
Registered
853 Posts
The issue that I see is that carriers found income with unlocking devices. They won’t want to give up millions in $50 charges easily and will look at options to keep the money coming in so will there really be an increase in competition? All the carriers are generally all working together so I don’t see much happening in the way of competition. They are just going to to make sure the contracts are air tight and we are handicapped by the device payments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Used to be Tilt
238 Posts
I'll have to differ in my opinion. Unlocking gives flexibility, to choose between providers, if only between the'big two'. Freedom is not the only alternative, and one of the smaller players may choose to take a run at all the potentially unlocked phones. Unlocking is especially germain to travellers, particularly for extended travel.

At worst it is a ***** in the stranglehold of Bell/Rogers........

As Dr.G is fond of saying, "We shall see".
RGray, I still do not believe that this will foster any competition. The basis for my belief is the way the telcos have been mirroring their plans and offers over so many years.

Like some others here have said, the telcos are losing a major revenue stream and will quickly find a way to recoup those losses in other ways; and every one of them will do so in an almost identical manner, I am sure.

I agree with your point about providing flexibility to users to move between providers; and yes - it certainly is a major benefit to users who travel across borders. But that is the only benefit I see; not competition.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I have been buying my iPhones outright since the iPhone 5 so had an unlocked phone. Cheaper for me to buy outright as my plan is to good and no available ($65 a month, 6 gigs data, etc etc). It does give some flexibility, I have a US sim card/number for when I travel into the states and if I needed to I could get a German number. My mom has a German number as she visits family frequently and always gets my old iPhones so they are unlocked.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The issue that I see is that carriers found income with unlocking devices. They won’t want to give up millions in $50 charges easily and will look at options to keep the money coming in
... yup.. you have to imagine someone somewhere is crunching the numbers... we did an average of X unlocks at $50 (yearly) which resulted in Y dollars... now we take that Y dollars and divide by total customers (contract and non) we have in total of Z and increase everyone's rates by Y/Z + 10% (the extra 10% just cuz that's how we big Telco companies do) :)

BReligion

·
Premium Member
15,679 Posts
I wonder how things have actually changed after reading the conditions at Bell Mobility.

Especially if thing are the same as my situation was and the previous owner hadn't had the iPhone unlocked and was somewhere out in the wild boonies in the Yukon and out of reach.

Here's what Bell says:
PS: This is why I had to use my son's help and services in Whitehorse and who is also a very big current Bell Mobility user.

Attachments

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My iPhone is now UNLOCKED!!!

Done and dusted in about 10min!!

No BS or bafflegab!

·
Premium Member
15,679 Posts
My iPhone is now UNLOCKED!!!

Done and dusted in about 10min!!

No BS or bafflegab!

So are you now going to get "some significant competition of rates amongst providers" you mentioned previously ???? :confused: :greedy:

I still wonder what will happen with those who purchase a used still locked phone and expect to get it unlocked at no charge when the previous owner/user has moved on somewhere unknown. ???

I suspect it won't be as simple. XX)

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So are you now going to get "some significant competition of rates amongst providers" you mentioned previously ???? :confused: :greedy:

I still wonder what will happen with those who purchase a used still locked phone and expect to get it unlocked at no charge when the previous owner/user has moved on somewhere unknown. ???

I suspect it won't be as simple. XX)

As of Dec 1, 2017, it would simply foolish to purchase a locked phone.... IMHO

Insist that the seller unlock it!! Seems simple enough to me. All of a 10 minute process.

I suggest it could be considered unethical, again post Dec. 1, to offer a locked phone for sale!!!

As I read the CRTC ruling the carrier to which the phone is locked is OBLIGATED to unlock it at no charge.

As stated earlier my experience was a 10 min conversation with Rogers..... FWIW I am not the original purchaser of this phone.

To pm-r perhaps your issue is with Bell rather than the process?? Just sayin'........

1 - 20 of 28 Posts