Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From CNET News.com

A number of Macintosh dealers are suing Apple Computer, charging the computer maker with a host of business wrongs ranging from overbilling to poaching customers to stocking its own stores with new gear unavailable to resellers.

Three suits have been filed in recent months by Apple dealers, including San Francisco-based Macadam Computer, Los Angeles-based Computer International, and Oregon-based MacTech Systems. The resellers charge Apple with breach of its contract and fraud, saying the computer maker hurt their business by failing to pay them for repairs they made under warranty, by overcharging them for parts, and by disparaging the dealers to potential customers in an effort to gain more direct sales business.

An Apple representative declined to comment on the cases, which were filed over the past four months in Santa Clara Superior Court in San Jose, Calif. Apple has sought to have at least some of the cases moved to federal court, but the company has not addressed the specific allegations, according to court records. All three Mac dealers are represented by Marcus Merchasin, a San Francisco-based lawyer.

For the rest of the article:
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-983350.html

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Yeah? It's not as if Apple is going to open an honest-to-God Apple store in Ottawa anytime soon. So, it's not like my local dealers are gonna go tIts-up.

And I sure as heck ain't gonna buy no stinkin' computer off the Internet! Too impersonal!

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
you're right ehMax,

i should be thankful for the bad lot of apple authorized dealers

they keep me in business !

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
The "Apple dealers sue Apple" story is one of those perpetutally recurring situations; this isn't even close to the first time for Apple, nor any other computer maker.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Hey, macspectrum's website has a really unique style - why does it remind me of the 20 spam messages I get a day offering mortgages or ways to add three inches to my "height"?

There will always be room for independent dealers if they provide excellent service. I can't really see the point in the resellers suing their primary source of merchandise although I can understand their frustration if an AppleStore opens up just down the road. It isn't as if Apple is the only computer company with on-line and high street outlets either.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
let's just i end up cleaning the mess left by dealers and their lack of detail and then the client wonders why i have to bill extra hours over and above my estimate when;

- powerbooks come without installed
components like RAM and air port cards
- computers are not pre-configured as per sales agreement
- networking doesn't
- dealers over-sell their clients

all why i never charge a 'flat fee" when the unit comes from a source that i am not used to dealing with

i could go on and on, but like i said, they do help me stay in business

ooooo, ouch, they took shots at my website..... oh well if that's the only thing, i am a lucky man..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts