Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Are you a single-button or two-button mouse user?

• Single button, baby, all the way (e.g., Apple Pro Mouse)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mouse? Pshaw! The keyboard is all you need...Control-Command-Eject

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First thing I did with the last two Macs I purchased was to buy a two-button mouse with scroll. I never was able to appreciate the supposed superiority of the single button sans-scroll design. I'm wondering if others feel the same way.

So how about it: do you use a single button Apple Pro mouse, or a two button mouse? With scroll or without?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
PG, which mouse did you buy for your Mac? I am somewhat hooked on the two button optical scroll wheel logitech I have been using and hope that something similar will work with the new iMacs.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Dr.G. I am patiently awaiting the arrival of my Kensington Wireless Studio Mouse, supposedly any day they tell me. If the advertisement is true I think it should be quite an improvement over the Pro mouse I have been using. :D :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
jrtech, I would be most interested to know your thoughts on this unique mouse when it arrives, and you utilize it for various tasks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
jrtech, I'd be interested as well to hear a little review. I've been eyeing that mouse for some time but have yet to see it in any stores and haven't been motivated enough to search for a retailer. The scroll-sensor sounds really interesting.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dr.G, I bought a Microsoft wheel mouse (optical). I find the Logitec models are too small.

I kept the Apple Pro mouse for both Macs and I store them in a drawer...for use only by my daughter, who finds the single-button does the trick for playing Dora the Explorer

[ April 26, 2003, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: PGant ]

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
jrtech
your avatar is the most bizarre thing Ive seen lately.
Congratulations on your uniqueness.

anyway, I have old adb and apple pro and the dreaded puck mice, asa well as 2, 3 and multi button plus scrollwheel mice.
I like the new Apple pro optical mouse the best, one button is fine for me.
Perhaps yopu folks paly lots of games that need multibutton controls, but the only games I play on a regualar basis are MacMame and GeoMame with the keyboard.
So no plans currently to change rodent species.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
My preferance is for the MS wireless with scroll wheel. To be fair, I have had very limited opportunity to use the Apple pro mouse.
My computer came with that crappy puck thing. It went bye-bye quickly to be replaced with the corded MS mouse. I use an Intuos2 tablet a great deal and the cords of the mouse and tablet were constantly getting caught up in each other so I went with a cordless mouse.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
patrick said:
I never was able to appreciate the supposed superiority of the single button sans-scroll design

It's not so much a superior system as a design philosophy statementment.

If you think about it, a single button mouse is all you need to navigate Mac OS (9 or X).

In Windows, the right click has become an integral part of the Operating System, in some apps there are features that you can't access anywhere except from the contextual menu. Apple wants to avoid this, their idea of how a contextual menu is that it should compliment the OS/App and make it easier to use, not make any part of the app/OS unuseable without it.

This leads to why Apple ships a one button mouse with thier systems. If They shipped a two button mouse, then some developers might become lazy and might start treating the contextual menu similar to the way that some of them treat it under windows, and then things get far more complicated don't they? And when things get complicated the renowned ease of use argument in favour of using a Mac goes right out the window(s).

--PB

·
Registered
719 Posts
I could not vote either, as I'm addicted to the Kensington TurboMouse 4 button with chording...

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Me neither. I alternate between the Microsoft 5 button Wireless Explorer and the " I can't count the number of buttons" Turbomouse Pro trackball.
The Explorer is the BEST rodent I've used - the shape is excellent

It likes to be fed a LOT of batteries so buy a good NiMH rechargeable set.

I am SO lost without the programmable buttons I couldn't begin to go back.

I use it with the monstrous but super well thought out Office Keyboard.

The combination is superb for productivity - the programming is endless and intuitive and the left hand scroll and application switcher is very cool. :D

Oh to answer the question I only ever use a single button for mousing - the rest are fully programmed for other tasks and I find the scroll wheel on a mouse awkward :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
590 Posts
For those of you thinking of going wireless, don't!!! I have a Corless Optical Logitech, and it is a great mouse. But when gaming or working with art and photos, it is laggy and slow. And it eats batteries.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As a recent switcher, I expected to have problems with a one button mouse. But surprisingly I'm getting used to it. i don't really miss the right mouse button, as it didn't get used much in Windows anyway. control+click works just fine for me. What I do sometimes find myself missing is the scroll wheel.

I haven't really decided yet if I'm going to get a new mouse. Most of them out there are so garish. Doesn't anyone make just a plain old white mouse? Actually, that Kensington mouse looks pretty good, but it's very expensive.

I think for now I'll just stick to Apple's one button.

Penner

·
Premium Member
18,000 Posts
MacAlly makes nice mice. I've had an iOptiJr. (in matching Tangerine) for use with my iBook for a couple of years now. Removable colour body plates match it to your Mac, decor, or what you're wearing that day :D

I think it would me nice to move to a wireless mouse at some point, though hopefully there'll be a battery revolution soon to address the cost factor (are there Wireless mice that sit in a "dock" to recharge?). Or maybe we'll get a new "fuel-cell" mouse from Apple sometime?

M

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I'm definitely a logitech two-button scroll wheel kind of guy... in fact onn my PC at work I miss the scrollwheel I have at home.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts