Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had more quirky issues with my new MacBook in just a week than I had with my PB in 2 years. I just lifted up my lid to wake from sleep and got a spinning beachball on one app, than another, and then finally, the Finder, requiring a hard shut down. It's getting real annoying. I am wondering if I should do an entire reinstall. Could it be the original install that came with the MacBook? I really don't like having to hard restart the thing. Am also wondering if hard restarts start corrupting things in OSX?

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I've had more quirky issues with my new MacBook in just a week than I had with my PB in 2 years. I just lifted up my lid to wake from sleep and got a spinning beachball on one app, than another, and then finally, the Finder, requiring a hard shut down. It's getting real annoying. I am wondering if I should do an entire reinstall. Could it be the original install that came with the MacBook? I really don't like having to hard restart the thing. Am also wondering if hard restarts start corrupting things in OSX?
Don't sweat hard restarts, sometimes, it happens. What apps did you have open? Were you using Rosetta? How much RAM do you have?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It started with Sidenote and then every other app including the Finder seemed to freeze up. I couldn't quit anything. Everything was a spinning beachball. I have a gig of ram.

·
Premium Member
5,530 Posts
Hard resets are definitely not the norm.

If my computer was like that, I'd backup and completely re-install. Most likely it's a preference file, but it would be extremely hard and time consuming to try and figure out the problem.

Make a bootable backup, re-install and get the Macbook working properly again.

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
Hard resets are definitely not the norm.

If my computer was like that, I'd backup and completely re-install. Most likely it's a preference file, but it would be extremely hard and time consuming to try and figure out the problem.

Make a bootable backup, re-install and get the Macbook working properly again.
More or less what he said. Other possible causes, Bluetooth device trying to reconnect? Using File Vault? External HD connected?

I always just log out and put a laptop to sleep manually. Forces me to save whatever I happen to be working on and saves time when waking the computer up.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took a good amount of time totally reinstalling OSX and most of my apps. First strange instance happened tonight. I had logged out with the logout widget I installed. After logging back in, the first 2 apps I attempted to open bounced in the dock quite a few times and then nothingness. I figured I's restart which cleared things up. Again, I never had this happen with my Powerbook. Mind you, this is after starting off on a clean slate. I used Onyx to do maintenance after all of it. Not sure why an app wouldn't start up (two of them- didn't try any more).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Stock model with 1gb RAM?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts