Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You see it again and again in the news -- some ordinary person, celebrity, or person in between is caught with drugs, a DUI, or similar drug offense, and in half or more of all cases, they're sent to a "drug treatment center." My question is.. do they help? How many people come out of those centers with a new attitude on life along the lines of: "Wow. I now see another, more positive perspective of my life." I've known people in the past who have been 'confined' to these treatment centers and who come back unchanged, like they didn't learn a thing or experience anything new. I'm wondering if there are better program with better results, or if running such "recovery" centers is a waste of money. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
They work if you are willing to put forth the effort into it and not want to quit. Celebrities head there for a vacation and to look good for the courts and the people.

First hand knowledge for those that want to rebut.

·
Registered
236 Posts
As RunTheWorldOnMac said it's all about attitude, I think that anyone forced to go will not come out changed.

I have a friend who went to one, and he didn't come out changed. He changed when he realized that his life was in danger and that he was wasting it away, and he decided to quit for himself.

·
Registered
639 Posts
they're sent to a "drug treatment center."
I think that's the key. If you're "sent" there it's unlikely to work. If you went because you're seeking help, then there IS hope. Also, I don't think it's ever helpful to hold up "celebrities" as any kind of example. More often than not their "rehabilitation" is only a PR exercise. Perhaps if we stopped paying so much attention to "celebrities" and more to real people, problems of substance abuse, and many others, would decrease. We never seem to look at WHY people abuse various substances.

To answer your question, I suppose I'm saying that drug treatment centres CAN be of use. I don't think it's the centres themselves that are the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Of course they are valuable. What you are condemning are the very public failures of paparazzi chased celebrities. The successful rehab of their other clients are never in the news, nor should they be.
It's a very personal journey.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts