1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As reported by spymac.com

Apple Canada shopping spree
09 06 03
A website promising the chance to win a $2,000 shopping spree at Apple's online store is legitimate, Spymac has confirmed.

"Apple Canada is running a tightly focused promotional program," Apple Canada spokesman Simon Atkins told Spymac regarding AppleShoppingSpree.ca.

Readers who called Apple's Business Line were originally told that the promotion was not affiliated with Apple Canada, raising doubts of the site's validity.

"[AppleShoppingSpree.ca is] targeting its key customers via the Internet to encourage them to learn more about Mac OS X Jaguar and the Apple solutions available to them," Atkins said.

These "key customers" have not been defined, but apparently include select ADC members.

The promotion is only applicable in Canada and entry requires a code distributed by Apple Canada. At press time, Apple Canada's website did not contain any information regarding the site.
hmmmmmmm.......
http://www.Appleshoppingspree.ca/

·
Registered
259 Posts
I received a small white 4" x 6" brochure in the mail last week which was marked as being from this address:

Apple
5050 Walker Road
Windsor, ON N9A 6J3

On the front was an announcement: "Attention shoppers," with an paper shopping bag image on it -- with an Apple logo of course. It had a small clear seal on it, and inside it was information about the whole appleshoppingspree.ca thing. It seems that they're giving out 3 separate $2000 "online shopping sprees" out to people, with the draw being held on June 30th. The brochure also contained the 8 character pin # required to enter -- which I did of course. :D When I input the code into the field and clicked enter, up came a screen with the options of signing up, "jumping" to Jaguar and viewing the rules. It was also personalized with my first name -- kind of freaked me out. Note on that later. Text below my name said exactly this:

Welcome to the Apple Store, Canada online shopping spree, exclusively designed for valued customers such as you. Your business is very important to us and to show out appreciation we're excited to offer you the chance to win $2000 to spend on-or put towards-anything you want from the Apple Store online.

To register and receive your $25 electronic coupon, click on the 'Sign Up' button, take a minute to fill out your information and you're automatically entered to win-it's just that simple.
When I clicked on the "sign up" link it opened up a new window with fields for one's name, address, phone #, etc. The semi-unsettling thing was these fields were already occupied with all of my personal information. Convenience to some I guess. My full name, address, phone number were already in the fields -- I didn't have the auto-fill feature turned on in the browser either. I did enter though, as everything "seemed" quite authentic and "Apple-like".

The only way I CAN SEE receiving this is because I've been a customer at Apple Canada's online store before -- purchased a 500MHz iBook and battery way back in 2001, yet nothing since then.
I AM NOT AN ADC MEMBER BY THE WAY.

I feel special! :D
:cool: Anyone else received one of these in their "snail" mail???

Note: Last week I also received that $25 coupon code for the online Apple Store, Canada from [email protected]

[ June 10, 2003, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Tomac ]

·
Registered
259 Posts
Here're the rules (QUITE LONG SORRY!):

Apple Store, Canada Online Shopping Spree Official Contest Rules & Regulations

1. How to Enter:
To enter and qualify, starting at 12:00pm (noon) EST on May 15, 2003, go to http://www.appleshoppingspree.ca, click on the sign up button for the contest, complete the form in its entirety, and submit the entry form online. To enter, you must have a web browser that is compatible with Netscape 4.0 or higher; Internet Explorer 4.0; or a web browser that is compatible with aforementioned browsers. Limit one submitted entry per person and/or email address. In the event of a dispute as to who submitted an online entry, the entry shall be deemed submitted by an "authorized email account holder". Entries will be declared made by the authorized email account holder of the email address at the time of entry. "Authorized email account holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet access provider, on-line service provider or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. Only online entries will be accepted. To be eligible, entries must be received on or before 12:00p.m. EST on June 28, 2003, the contest closing date. No purchase necessary.

2. Prizes:
There will be three (3) Prizes awarded nationally in Canada. Each Prize will consist of one (1) $2000.00 Apple Store, Canada online credit. Odds of winning a Prize will be determined by the number of eligible entries received by the contest closing date.

3. Selection Process:
Winners will be selected by random draw to be held at 8:30 a.m. EST in Toronto, Ontario, on June 30, 2003. Prize winners will be selected from amongst all eligible entries received via email by the contest closing date. Prizes must be accepted as awarded, and are not refundable or transferable. Only one Prize will be awarded per contest winner, family, household, group or organization. The selected entrants will be contacted by phone or email. To win, selected entrant(s) must first complete a written declaration confirming compliance with the contest rules and correctly answer a mathematical, skill-testing question to be administered by phone or email. In the event the contest sponsors are unable to notify the selected entrant within 14 days of the draw, that selected entrant will be disqualified and an alternate winner will be selected from among all remaining eligible entries. No correspondence pertaining to this contest will be entered into except with potential winners. The sponsor accepts no liability for printing errors on material distributed for this contest.

4. Winners:
By entering the contest, entrants agree to abide by the contest rules and all decisions of Apple Canada Inc. (“Apple”), which are final. Prizes will be awarded and delivered to the confirmed winners by Apple. Winners agree to authorize Apple to announce and publish their name, address (city only) and photograph in any forthcoming publicity in connection with this promotion without further remuneration. Winners will be required to release Apple, and their agencies and representatives from liability with respect to the contest and the prizes. Failure on the part of a selected winner to return the Affidavit of Eligibility/Release of Liability by the deadline as posted on the release form may result in disqualification of that person and an alternate winner will be selected from among all remaining eligible entries.

5. Eligibility:
To enter and be eligible to win, a person must be a resident of Canada, of the age of majority in their province of residence, and not be an employee of, a member of the immediate family of or domiciled with an employee of Apple or any of their advertising and promotional agencies, their affiliates and agents, participating sponsors, or contractors. All entries become the property of Apple, who assumes no responsibility for incomplete, lost, late, damaged, illegible or misdirected email; for technical, hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connection, or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit a user's ability to participate. Apple reserves the right to modify the contest if fraud or technical failures destroy the integrity of the contest as determined by Apple, in its sole discretion.

6. For Quebec residents:
Any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.
Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux
1, rue Notre-Dame Est, 9th Floor
Montréal, Quebec H2Y 1B6

7. Winners List:
A list of winners will be published on Apple’s website at, http://www.apple.com/ca/promo/winners.html

Contest is subject to all applicable Federal, Provincial, Municipal and local laws and regulations.
© Copyright 2003

·
Registered
49 Posts
I called Apple today and they said you have to have been invited to qualify for the contest, so you can't sign up otherwise. Or so it would seem. Bummer!

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
I got a card too
All you get is $25 off of $250 purchase or greater, and when you consider that Apple has the most expensive prices on everything on their website, it amounts to less than nothing.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Maybe I'm in the dark here,so if I am can sombody explain but...

This is lame if you ask me.
An "invited" contest?....whats the point?
That's like them saying that every other customer that isn't AS important doesnt matter.
Lame.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
That's illegal to have a contest open to a select few. They are correct in having "no purchase necessary".

I used to work at an advertising agency and we had our advertising lawyers pouring over the legalese in contest rules.

This is the section in the Federal Competition Act (SECTION 74.06 OF THE COMPETITION ACT: PROMOTIONAL CONTESTS) that ensures that participants in a contest are of a random basis of the whole population.

Section 74.06 and subsection 74.1(1) of the Act read as follows:

Promotional contests

74.06 (1) A person engages in reviewable conduct who, for the purpose of promoting, directly or indirectly, the supply or use of a product, or for the purpose of promoting, directly or indirectly, any business interest, conducts any contest, lottery, game of chance or skill, or mixed chance and skill, or otherwise disposes of any product or other benefit by any mode of chance, skill or mixed chance and skill whatever, where</font>
  • (a) adequate and fair disclosure is not made of the number and approximate value of the prizes, of the area or areas to which they relate and of any fact within the knowledge of the person that affects materially the chances of winning;

(b) distribution of the prizes is unduly delayed; or

(c) selection of participants or distribution of prizes is not made on the basis of skill or on a random basis in any area to which prizes have been allocated.</font>
The Court may order the Apple not to engage in such conduct, to publish a corrective notice and/or to pay an administrative monetary penalty for these restrictive participation rules.

[ June 10, 2003, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: gmark2000 ]

·
Registered
719 Posts
I received on of the cards. I've never purchased from Apple online.

When I win the $2,000 spree, I will have to remember to ask you for recommendations on what to get.

·
Tritium Glow
7,136 Posts
I spent close to $5000 at the Apple store in March of this year....I received "didly squat"...thanks Apple, I'll remember that next time.

[EDIT:] ...and no, I'm not going to email them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.