Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

At the school I work at we just ordered a Dual 1.25GHz G4 Server :D . I was wondering if u can transfer the current user accounts and permissions from Appleshare IP 6.3.3 to Mac OS 10.2 Server. If anyone has any experience, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yes, you can indeed move the users from one server to the next and quite easily actually.

What you want to do is from Server Settings on your ASIP server is export your user list in XML format

Then on your Mac OS X Server, copy the list of users to the server and then in Workgroup Manager, do a File >> Import Users.

Start the users from ID # 1000 and then start the import. Depending on the type of server you are setting up, i.e. a Password Server, Open Directory Server, or LDAP server you can set up their home accounts as well.

For Mac OS X Password based servers, I tend to create a new folder and place it in the root directory of the server hard drive as opposed to the /Users folder that has been known to cause problems network users in certain cases.

There is also a ASIP to Mac OS X migration tool in located in the /Applications/Utilities folder, but it's for if you are upgrading your existing box and not installing a new one from scratch as you are.

A lot of people seem to use the program called passenger and while it does work, for advanced needs, it has some limitations. You may want to check it out just to see if it's something that may benefit you.

Also, with Mac OS X Server, users home directories are not created by default for security reasons, so if you need to create their home directories to populate them with imformation, you have issue this command from the terminal:

sudo createhomedir -a
Password: ******

Netinfo will then create the users home directories.

Also, if you do not want all your users to have things such as:

Music
Movies
Public
Sites
Pictures

or any other folders in their home directories, before you issue the command from the terminal to create their home directories, or before you allow them to log in, you can edit this set of information by navigating to:
/System/Library/User\ Template/English.lproj and remove or add items into there as you need to. You have to make sure that you are logged in as root in order to do this or you can run the rm -rf command from the command line to remove unwanted folders.

Also, you can add anything into this folder, such as a Welcome back to school note, or proper usage polices letter to students and faculty that they have to read upon login and place it in ther Documents folder in that directory.

Finally as a little note, you have to make sure that your IT techs, if its not you adds a forward and reverse DNS lookup for your server address in their DNS servers. And whatever you do at anycost DO NOT CHANGE THE IP ADDRESS ONCE YOU HAVE SET IT otherwise your network based netinfo domain will no longer work properly and you will not be able to log into the servr either from the server itself nor will the users.

If you need to change the IP address of your server you can get a free application from Apple here

Feel free to email me direct if you want more help.

Good Luck

~
David Thompson
Apple Constultants Network
www.digitaltransitions.ca

1 - 2 of 2 Posts